Wednesday, November 6, 2024

Feeling better

The discomfort in my lower back has finally subsided. It is gratifying to be able to sit and sleep without experiencing it. However, I remain perplexed about its cause. I have been engaging in regular bicycle riding and weightlifting several times a week. Over the past six days, I have logged 130 miles, and I can still feel its effects in my legs.

I have observed that physical activity alleviates minor pains and stiffness as I age. I experience stiffness when I go without working out for several days, making it challenging to get moving. I am sure that there is scientific evidence supporting this experience, but I am still attempting to ascertain the underlying reason.

I will spend the entire month of November in Cary, North Carolina, with my son and his fiancée.

During this trip, my preferred camera, the Nikon D810, unexpectedly ceased functioning. This is a lengthy story, and the cost of replacing it is comparable to the cost of repairs. The repairs required are questionable at best. Consequently, I have been considering mirrorless options for several years. I currently own the Fuji X-T2 crop sensor, which is no longer in production. Switching camera brands, yet the camera is not the most expensive component of photography; it is the lens.

After conducting research over several weeks, I developed an interest in the Nikon Z8. However, the price tag was $4,000, with occasional sales offering it for $3,500. All available literature and videos consistently highlight the comparable image quality of the Nikon Z7ii. Notably, the Z8 boasts significantly enhanced focus speed. The Z7ii is currently priced at $3,000.

Nevertheless, I discovered it during a pre-Black Friday sale for $1,899. While I had to allocate an additional $250 for the FTZii mount to accommodate my existing lenses, this requirement was also applicable to the Z8. Consequently, this factor played a pivotal role in my decision to upgrade. The focus speed requirement is less of a concern for my current photography needs, and both cameras are valued at approximately $1,600.

So now I will learn the new camera.  The initial images appear better than my D810.  The Z7ii DxOMark score is slightly higher, and Camera Decision scores the Z7ii at 78 and the D810 at 59.  I thought I might upgrade in 2025, so it was close to the planned change.

Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...