Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Mother and fundraising

Even though I slept in until 10:30 AM, I didn’t actually get a good night’s sleep until around 4:00 AM. Taking care of Shelley and my mom is extremely exhausting, akin to being overworked in a job that drains you. The signs are all there: I’m not exercising enough, sleeping less, eating worse, feeling less social, and getting easily irritated. So when I say “depressing,” I don’t mean it in a literal way, like the image.

After breakfast, I popped over to see my mom and wrapped up a few things. It’s really tough to visit. Lately, when I ask what she did yesterday, she says she just sat around and watched TV. But my sister took her shopping for groceries on Saturday, and my brother was with her the day before. I asked her about her last grocery trip, and she said it was a few weeks ago. I also asked about the fresh loaf of bread on the counter, which we’d bought three days earlier, and she said it was stale.

When I got home, I was getting ready for a fundraising gala that Shelley had to attend. As the organization’s treasurer, she’s really invested in the cause. The night was pretty standard until the end, when a member stood up to encourage donations. She was really intense, feeling guilty about being there and not giving. This got Shelley to chip in another $500, and some friends did the same. The MC then pointed out everyone at the table who’d donated, saying, “The rest of you, please support this organization.” Unfortunately, a great evening was spoiled and turned into a circus.

Since it was a short day with only a few activities, I was ready to call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...