Thursday, September 19, 2024

I made 62

Guess what? Today’s the big day! I just turned 62. I always tease that I can only celebrate for a minute (60 seconds), then I’m off to 63. But, you know, some folks still don’t get the joke! Now, I’m officially eligible for those sweet senior discounts everywhere. The one I’m most excited about is the lifetime National Parks Pass. Usually, the annual pass is $80, but once I reach 62, it becomes a lifetime deal.

I woke up with a pain in my right foot, which has been bugging me for the last week. I’m not sure what’s causing it, but I’m guessing it’s tendonitis, since the pain comes and goes. It could also be related to the Jones Fracture I had about 20 years ago, but the pain isn’t constant. The pain started after a challenging elliptical workout in some new shoes.

Hiding the pain is a real challenge, especially since Shelley still depends on me a lot. She can use the bathroom independently, but most things are up to me since she has limited mobility. Plus, she’s feeling more pain because she’s not taking the more potent pain medication they offer. That means I need to help out even more. It can be exhausting at times, but I won’t complain – she needs my help!

Shelley invited me to lunch, but my stomach wouldn't cooperate. Later that day, I found out my mom had had an accident and had a lot of feces on the floor of her room, and the bathroom was a mess. Just in case you didn't know, we moved her to a senior living facility last month. Since my dad passed away 18 months ago, she's just not been able to stay on the farm like she wanted to. She needs some level of care.

So, most of the afternoon was spent cleaning up the mess! After getting Mom settled, I felt better and decided to have my birthday dinner at the Mason Jar, a local restaurant.  I'd always seen their Thursday special ad (the only night they serve Prime Rib) and wanted to give it a try. Unfortunately, it wasn't very pleasant. The meat was tough, and some chewing gum would've been easier to eat. You really never know until you try it, though. This is my first letdown with the Mason Jar. There are so many other fabulous dishes to enjoy.

Helping my mom settle and caring for Shelley full-time has been exhausting! On top of that, sleep has been tough, since Shelley might need me in the middle of the night. I have no choice but to tough it out!

Carry on, my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...