Friday, May 31, 2024

Long day - four games

At approximately 7:15 AM, I awoke, but unfortunately, I did not achieve the restful sleep I had desired. I proceeded to have breakfast and departed on the road by 8:30 AM, heading towards Devon Park, the venue for the NCAA Women’s World Series of softball. Upon arrival at approximately 9:30 AM, I discovered available free parking.


Surprisingly, the weather conditions were favorable. Although overcast, there was a palpable sense of impending heavy rainfall. Rather than utilizing the shuttle bus, I opted to walk along the bike path, approximately ¾ of a mile to the stadium. I arrived at the stadium at 10:00 AM and explored all the available attractions.

Realizing that the weather was about to deteriorate and that I had not secured a parking spot in the designated free parking area, I returned to my vehicle to retrieve my raincoat and relocate it. Just as I returned to the car, the rain commenced pouring heavily.

Upon consulting the Internet, I discovered that the 11:00 AM game had been postponed due to inclement weather conditions, which included rain, thunder, and lightning. Consequently, I decided to remain in my car and read a few chapters of “Running with Sherman.” The weather conditions gradually improved, and by 11:45 AM, I boarded the shuttle bus back to the stadium. Upon arrival, it was announced that the first pitch would be scheduled for 12:46 p.m. Therefore, I proceeded to walk the entire stadium before settling into the left-field outfield bleachers.

The inaugural game, featuring Alabama against UCLA, was exceptionally well-played. The score remained tied at 1-1 throughout the sixth inning, which was characterized by intense competition. Regrettably for Alabama, in the bottom of the sixth inning, a three-run home run propelled UCLA to a commanding lead of 4-1. Despite the exceptional pitching displayed by Alabama, it proved challenging for them to overcome this deficit.



 

The second game, pitting Oklahoma against Duke, was rather uninspiring. Oklahoma was unable to participate for the initial two innings, and Duke held a 1-0 lead. However, this is a common occurrence during Oklahoma’s season, as they require three innings to warm up thoroughly. In the third inning, Oklahoma unleashed two home runs, effectively securing a lead. Subsequently, they accumulated sufficient runs in the sixth inning, ultimately clinching victory through the 8-run rule.

 


Due to the ample time between the conclusion of the Oklahoma game and the start of the evening games at 6:30 PM, I returned to my vehicle, where I had consumed lunch and relaxed. At 6:30 PM, I re-entered the stadium, and the game commenced approximately 10 minutes behind schedule due to the need to vacate the stadium for the day session and subsequently allow the night session to enter.


Texas (#1) faced Stanford (#8), followed by Oklahoma State (#5) versus Florida (#4). The Texas game witnessed approximately 60 percent stadium occupancy and lacked significant events, resulting in an unremarkable 4-0 victory for Texas. The subsequent game was closely contested, and the stadium experienced heightened activity with Oklahoma State on the field. In the concluding moments of the fifth inning, Florida’s Katie Kistler executed a home run, marking the sole run scored.


I returned to the hotel just before midnight, took a shower, and recognized the importance of getting sufficient rest for the extended drive home on Friday.

Carry on my friends, carry on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...