
Life can be like a blink if you are not careful. Bettie Pritchard was looking for words to put in her son's pocket when she buried him. These are the words she used.
Life is like a blink of an eye
Death is for eternity
Therefore, life is really just a dream
And death is the reality!
Today marks the anniversary of my father’s passing. I did not share a post at the time. I was home working on a Saturday, May 6, 2023, when I received the call. He had collapsed while loading tires into his truck. Given the remote nature of our area, even with someone nearby, I knew he would not recover immediately.
My review post only mentioned his passing in 2023. If you have read this blog, you are aware that my father and I had a strained relationship. He used to call me derogatory names such as “Educated Idiot,” “crazy waste of energy” (when I ran), and “No good hippy” when I let my hair grow, to name a few. He was a formidable man. Once I was able to escape those surroundings, I did, and I rarely looked back.
He is supposed to have mellowed with age, but I never had the opportunity to determine if that is true. As I grow older, I come to realize that he carried a significant amount of guilt regarding his actions in the final years of his life. It is amusing how it took me a year after his passing to comprehend that.
Over the past few weeks, I have been occupied with various tasks, including reviewing old photographs and clearing out outdated electronic files. The weather has also permitted me to attend a few town ball games. Yesterday, I attended a game at Fredrickson Field in Elko, New Market. It is an excellent field, albeit with limited parking availability.
From this vantage point, the drive-in theater located just down the road, which reopened in 2014, is not visible. However, it is currently closed, as the website has not been updated since 2022.
Adjacent to the theater is Elko Speedway, a 3/8-mile high-banked asphalt oval that has been operational since 1966 and has been sanctioned by NASCAR since 1986. Additionally, a smaller go-kart track is located on the premises. I would not have been aware of its existence had it not been for the game!
On May 3, I achieved a significant milestone by completing my first ride exceeding 40 miles (41.86 miles). The prevailing winds posed a formidable challenge, necessitating considerable exertion to complete the journey within a span of 3 hours and 4 minutes. This accomplishment brings my cumulative bicycle mileage to 719 miles. Over the preceding decade, my peak mileage was recorded in 2019, during which I logged an impressive 3,542 miles. To establish a new record this year, I must recommit myself to cycling. At this juncture in 2019, my mileage had surpassed 700 miles.
Today, I am delighted to have completed a 10K on the elliptical trainer. Initially, it proved arduous to traverse 2.5 miles within a 30-minute timeframe. However, after engaging in several 60-minute workouts, I have completed my inaugural 10K, and I continue to experience a sense of vitality, akin to the exhilaration I felt on April 23 when I concluded a 5.5-mile 60-minute session. My objective is to engage in at least three elliptical workouts per week, potentially extending this to four. I am experiencing a profound sense of well-being for the first time in several years.

No comments:
Post a Comment