Saturday, May 11, 2024

Baker?

Although I have retired, I am not financially destitute; however, I am always seeking ways to optimize my budget. I have always been an enthusiast of pretzel buns for my burgers and similar sandwiches, and I even prefer a pretzel hot dog bun for my bratwurst. However, the issue arises from their exorbitant cost at grocery stores, exceeding $1.00 each. Surprisingly, they are pretty affordable and can be prepared from scratch.

Today, I made my first attempt at creating my own pretzel buns. The preparation process took approximately 30 minutes, followed by an 80-minute rise time, and an additional 15 minutes for preparation and cooking. The final product closely resembled a pretzel bun. Could I become a successful baker?

Following the completion of my endeavor, I engaged in a 20-mile bicycle ride to alleviate any post-baking fatigue. While the ride presented challenges, I am uncertain of the specific factors contributing to its difficulty. It spanned approximately 80 minutes, with an average heart rate of 125 beats per minute and a peak of 153 beats per minute. The physiological data appeared satisfactory.

When I got home, I took a look at my homemade pretzel buns. They were good on their own, just like store-bought ones! The texture was spot-on, but they were a tad dry. Adding a burger with mayonnaise and mustard would make them even more delicious. Plus, they’d be perfect for breakfast with ham, egg, and cheese. They were okay on their own, but for the next batch, I’m thinking of adding more butter and salt. However, as a newbie baker, this is just my opinion.

The rest of the day was spent cleaning up my mess as a rookie baker and watching softball—some great games, including Duke coming from behind to win. In the entire  ACC tournamentDuke University had walk-off innings.  The final game was Oklahoma vs TexasTexas is ranked number 1, and Oklahoma, which won the past three World Series, has struggled. We will see Oklahoma as one of the 2024 World Series selections tomorrow, followed by Texas and LSU.  I was hoping Arkansas would have won, as that would have secured home games for two weekends in a row, assuming they win the first weekend. I also planned to go to Arkansas for the Super Regional if they host. I have a place to stay for free in Fayetteville! They will host the first weekend, but I’ve already made plans to visit the Field of Dreams location in Dyersville, Iowa. I have friends playing a game there on Saturday.

I tried to capture some Northern Lights images last night, but I didn't succeed. So tonight, I won't try again because I am so TIRED!

Carry on my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer vanishes

The summer vanished in a blur of relentless caregiving for Shelley and constantly entertaining the grandkids. Shelley hosts what is called C...