Thursday, May 30, 2024

Only my way to Oklahoma

I woke up bright and early at 8:30 a.m. and peeked at the weather forecast for Oklahoma City. I was torn about whether to go to the NCAA Women’s Softball World Series. The forecast was a bit of a downer, with rain, hail, and potentially damaging winds forecasted for the entire week, and it remained unchanged on Wednesday morning. I wasn’t sure if I should brave it. I was a bit superstitious, thinking that if I went, it would rain out, but if I didn’t, it would be gorgeous weather! So, I might go!

Next, I checked if I could snag some tickets. Luckily, there was still one $35 ticket left for the morning session, which includes two games. First up, at 11:00 AM, Alabama (#14) was playing against UCLA (#6), followed by Duke #10) versus Oklahoma (#2) and Alabama versus UCLA. For the night games, a resale ticket ($48) was available: Texas (#1) vs. Stanford (#8), followed by Oklahoma State (#5) vs. Florida (#4). I also looked into hotels, and they were reasonably priced at about $80 per night. Since I’m retired, I decided to go!

So, I packed quickly and hit the road by 10:00 AM. The hotels looked good in case it started raining. I packed the car with the bed and all the essentials so I could sleep in the car if needed.

As I drove toward Oklahoma City, the drive was smooth until I reached Kansas City. My timing could have been better, as I arrived in Kansas City during rush hour. I lost about an hour in total travel time just crawling through the traffic!

At the Missouri-Kansas border, I discovered that Interstate 35 had become a toll road.  It was going to cost me $17 to cover the next 123 miles, which is about $0.14 per mile. To dodge those tolls, I added about 45 minutes and 21 miles to my drive. I thought I’d take the scenic rural route, but that turned out to be a bit of a misstep. I had to pass through several small towns, which added about an hour to the trip. By the time I was a few hours away, I was super tired and decided to look for a hotel. I found a Holiday Inn Express in Perry, Oklahoma, for about $90 a night.

I got to the hotel around 9:45 PM, so my drive had taken 11 hours and 45 minutes. I was completely exhausted and fell asleep after midnight. 

Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...