Monday, May 20, 2024

Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams has always been one of my favorite movies. The entire story is really touching. Some people think the movie isn't really about baseball, but I still love the history lesson it provides.  


Additionally, this marks my inaugural exposure to townball, a sport that continues to thrive in Minnesota with an impressive roster of over 300 teams. I eagerly anticipate attending and experiencing more games during my retirement.


Over the weekend, a friend whose boyfriend plays town ball had a game in Dyersville, Iowa, on the movie set's field. I couldn't miss the opportunity to check it out for the first time!


On my drive, I decided to take the scenic route, which meant the trip took a bit longer, but it was totally worth it! I finally arrived in Dyersville and made my way to the Basilica of St. Francis Xavier. Construction began in September 1887, and the cornerstone was laid on June 3, 1888. The new church was officially dedicated by Bishop Hennessy of Dubuque on December 3, 1889.


St. Francis Xavier Church was elevated to the status of a minor Basilica in 1956 due to its remarkable architecture and the congregation’s strong faith. Pope Pius XII made the announcement, which made the church one of the country’s 12 minor Basilicas at the time. Today, it's one of 53 Basilicas in the US. It was truly a sight to behold!


Next, I checked out the "If You Build It" exhibit, a tribute to the Field of Dreams movie. It covers everything from the movie's early development to its lasting impact. A must-see spot. Highlights include Sue Riedel's unauthorized photo submission to the film producers, the fact that the grass was actually painted green, and some of the movie's iconic lines—like when Ray asks his dad, "Hey Dad, you want to have a catch?" instead of the original "You want to play catch?"  

 

Here are some photos from the trip. I'm planning to head back in August for the Ghost Game—that's when the team pops out of the corn and plays! It's going to be a blast.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...