Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Slacker

I woke up at 5:00 AM, exhausted and reluctant to get out of bed. Despite trying to sleep, I finally decided to rise at 6:45 AM. I went to the office and worked the entire day, skipping lunch. I need to stop skipping lunch. Earlier, I exercised for 30 minutes and lifted weights at lunch. After work, a co-worker needed encouragement to work out, so I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the elliptical, covering 4.1 miles. It was a challenging workout.


After the workout, I returned to the office for about 45 minutes, but I couldn’t catch up from the day’s stress. My stress level has been high, and I’m almost at my peak weight. At 15, I weighed 298 pounds; in 2005, I weighed 299 pounds; and at my last check-up, I weighed 293 pounds. That’s 84 pounds heavier than my lowest weight in 2006 and 127 pounds heavier than when I was 24.


My adult child, Pat, in their 20s and in graduate school, has been more complicated than expected. Despite being in their 20s, Pat often ignores calls and texts. Pat juggles a sports team, an internship, and graduate school, which are stressful. Pat’s health is okay, but could be better. Pat is also worried about relationships. Recently, Pat broke up with a long-term partner and met someone new, but after five months, the other person broke up with Pat.


Children continue to be a source of pride and joy for parents even after they have moved out. However, the satisfaction parents derive from their grown children’s success can be reciprocal. When adult children face challenges such as divorce, financial difficulties, substance abuse, or other life problems, it can significantly impact their parents’ mental well-being and overall satisfaction. Furthermore, the added concern about financial stability can exacerbate existing issues, such as caring for an ill or disabled child, leading to a more pronounced impact on the parents’ lives.


Raising my child alone was incredibly challenging. After our divorce, his mother moved a thousand miles away. Despite my best efforts to ensure his success, I sometimes feel like I failed. This stress is as overwhelming as anything else. However, it’s impossible to change what might have been said, done, or how things were handled. All we can do is live with that reality.

THAT’S LIFE!!!

Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...