I woke up feeling great at 7:30 AM, but after an hour, I felt average. My breakfast was not satisfying, consisting of cauliflower and peppers. I know better than to eat that! I went to work at 9 AM and came home at 1:30 PM. I spent some time editing photos, made dinner, and went to bed at around 8 PM. It was difficult for me to fall asleep.
I asked myself, “Am I depressed and unhappy”?
Depression is not merely a state of sadness; it is a disease that impairs the ability to experience emotions, both positive and negative. Depression affects not only the mind but also the body and thoughts. It is estimated that depression affects approximately twenty percent of all Americans, some of whom may not even be aware of it at some point in their lives. Every human being is susceptible to depression. Interestingly, men are five times more likely to commit suicide when depressed compared to women. This disparity may be attributed to societal roles and the lack of permission for men to express their emotions openly. This resonates with me!
Sigmund Freud proposed that a person’s suppressed anger over a loss weakens the “ego,” leading to self-hatred and self-harming behavior. Aaron Beck, on the other hand, offered a different perspective. He believed that depressed individuals tend to view everything negatively and blame themselves for all their misfortunes. This negative thinking distorts situations, making them appear more severe than they actually are, thereby increasing the likelihood of depression. Martin Seligman, an American psychologist, introduced the concept of “learned helplessness,” suggesting that depression arises from the belief that one cannot control the outcomes of events. While these theories may hold true in certain cases, it’s important to recognize that depression is a complex condition influenced by various factors.
As mentioned, depression manifests through various symptoms. While sadness and a loss of satisfaction in once-enjoyable activities are perhaps the most recognized, some symptoms are often overlooked. Guilt, for instance, is a significant symptom that closely correlates with depression. When guilt is imposed upon an individual, it erodes their hope. They blame themselves for actions they are not responsible for, leading to feelings of hopelessness. Other overlooked symptoms include insomnia and loss of appetite. Insufficient sleep can be linked to stress and guilt, which are also major contributors to depression.
Depression is not a matter I take lightly. I don’t dismiss it regularly, but I don’t let it consume me and seek help. Tragically, hundreds of people commit suicide each day due to depression. I occasionally experience these thoughts, but I have the control to overcome them. The most positive aspect for me is exercise; I’m increasing my physical activity this year. If I could lose 60 pounds, everything would improve. So, it’s time to embrace positivity!
No comments:
Post a Comment