Winter has arrived, bringing approximately 8 inches of fluffy snow. My forecast indicates only about 0.6 inches of moisture, which I initially thought was insignificant. However, this morning's snow depth surprised me, prompting the realization that the weather report I consult lists moisture content, meaning the snow-to-moisture ratio can vary from 5:1 to 15:1. There is a tool called the MNI Calculator (click to go to the site) that helps estimate snowfall based on moisture. Nonetheless, with temperatures expected to reach 40 degrees over Christmas, the snow is likely to melt quickly.
Since I am retired, I cleared the snow from the driveway, the hydrant in front of the mailbox, and most of the sidewalk on my side of the block. I have the time, so why not? The temperature is around 25 degrees, making the outdoor air feel refreshing.
Since January 4, I have been cycling on Rouvy every other day since January 4. The eight rides were 131.4 miles with 3,043 feet of climb in 8 hours and 26 minutes. My longest ride was Lake Pukaki in New Zealand, covering 20 miles with a 710-foot climb in 1 hour, 16 minutes, and 41 seconds, averaging a heart rate of 132 BPM. Unlike outdoor riding, where a breeze helps cool the body, I tend to sweat heavily while on Rouvy.
I am exercising today, but I plan to stick to my routine of exercising every other day. As I age, it's easier to burn out or get injured. The best approach is a solid workout. Due to the holiday and travel, I might need to exercise on two consecutive days this week to maintain my schedule.
I don't check my weight regularly, so I avoid stress related to the scale. After a few weeks of riding, I've noticed that I feel better overall. I realize that my sleep quality improves on rest days, but soreness and aches can make it more difficult to fall asleep. Taking pain relief helps me sleep better, but NSAIDs, in particular, tend to upset my stomach significantly.
No comments:
Post a Comment