Saturday, October 19, 2024

Loved the extra blanket

Upon waking this morning, I found myself pleasantly warm, unlike the previous night when I experienced a significant drop in temperature. While the initial drop to 31 degrees was notable, it was mitigated by the additional blanket I purchased.

Before sunrise, I embarked on a sightseeing excursion to capture the golden hour photography. As I approached Cherokee, I encountered a herd of elk partially obscured by dense fog. I captured several unique images that reflect my experience.

Selected images are provided below for your reference.


Nestled outside Cherokee, North Carolina, on Newfound Gap Road, the Oconoluftee River presents an ideal photographic opportunity. I dedicated approximately an hour to this serene location, finding solace in its tranquil ambiance.


My subsequent destination was Clingman’s Dome, the highest peak within the Smoky Mountains and the third highest east of the Mississippi River. From the parking area, a 0.5-mile trail ascends approximately 500 feet to the base ramp. The circular ramp, spanning 375 feet and ascending at a 12 percent grade, offers a panoramic view of the park. While the hike proved arduous, the effort was rewarded with breathtaking vistas. However, the elevation posed challenges to my breathing, causing dizziness at the summit.


Upon my arrival at approximately 10:00 a.m., parking proved to be a challenging task, but there were a few open spaces available. Upon completing my activities, the parking area was in disarray. I attempted to depart at 12:30 p.m., but it transpired that the process was protracted due to the one-way nature of the street. Furthermore, individuals engaged in loading their vehicles would halt and obstruct the flow of traffic. Consequently, the exit from the parking lot was congested, with approximately 60 cars lined up on the access road, awaiting their turn to exit. It was fortunate that I had chosen to arrive early.


The dome
View from the top

 

Recognizing that it was the weekend and the anticipated crowds would make the day challenging, I stopped at the Chimney’s Picnic Area for lunch. The establishment was nearly devoid of patrons and presented an exceptional location for a picnic. I spent the remainder of the afternoon there until 2:30 p.m., at which point I resolved to return to the campsite and search for vibrant hues.


Below is a sample of the current conditions in select locations. Notably, many areas are far from the peak color.


 

Due to the crowds, it took about 2 hours to drive 35 miles to the campsite. I knew I would call it a day, so the lost time was not an issue. I am getting tired after four straight days of sightseeing. With the crowds, I may make tomorrow a light day. I leave here on Monday and will follow the mountain range northeast. No definite locations are planned—one of the advantages of being retired. My only requirement is to make Cary no later than October 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...