Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Changed plans

I was awake at 6:20 AM, slowly packed up, and was on the road by 7:00 AM. I retook the Newfound Gap Road after a last-minute travel switch looped south, allowing me to see more of the area.

After 30 minutes, I was about 10 miles outside Asheville, NC, and was hit hard by the hurricane. The trees look past the peak, likely due to the hurricane. This trend continues in Boone, NC. (See images below)

West of Asheville, NC

West of Boone, NC
As I drove northeast of Boone, the trees improved, but the colors weren’t yet vibrant. Then I realized the first 200 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway were finally open! I adjusted my plan to head to Cary, NC, early to see my son, then drive to Virginia to explore the open parkway before returning to Cary. Retirement allows me to change plans and follow the fall color schedule.

Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer vanishes

The summer vanished in a blur of relentless caregiving for Shelley and constantly entertaining the grandkids. Shelley hosts what is called C...