Today, I left Minnesota with my car packed for my long-planned trip to the Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge Parkway. I planned to travel the entire Blue Ridge Parkway at my leisure, enjoying most of its sites over the course of three weeks. As a retired individual, I can adjust my schedule as needed.
I initially planned to spend a few days in Nashville with Shelley to celebrate her birthday, but her fractured ankle prevented her from joining me. Since I had reservations and it wasn't easy to find a campsite, I decided to celebrate her birthday early and keep the schedule. However, Hurricane Helene canceled my nine-day camping reservations and other plans along the Blue Ridge Parkway, leaving me disappointed.
After conducting research, I found a campsite near Cherokee, NC, that was spared from the Smoky Mountains fire. This will be a five-day trip to the North Carolina/Tennessee Smoky Mountains. Then, I’ll head to Blacksburg, VA, for a few days before visiting Cary, NC, for four days with a dog. I’ll spend nine days with my son, then three weeks with another dog, before returning home.
I am better equipped for this excursion than my last long trip in March 2024. Some improvements:
- I discovered the AC outlet in my car (it only operates while running) and plugged the Jackery Explorer 300 into it to keep it fully charged while driving. It is powered through, so the car provides power to everything when driving. Power needs include laptops, iPads, phones, watches, camera batteries, air pumps, a refrigerator, and more.
- I purchased a Megiu AC/DC fridge with a 19-quart capacity. In testing, I found it consumes about 10 percent of the Jackery battery overnight.
- I have a Coleman Propane Bottle Stove when cooking or boiling water is needed.
- I often prefer sleeping in the car, especially in bad weather, but I purchased a Cross Canyon 3 Tent in case the campground/weather conditions are ideal.
- I have a 2.5-gallon Rubbermaid insulated 2-gallon water jug for water.
No comments:
Post a Comment