Tuesday, October 29, 2024

Almost 100 miles

 Last night, it was too dark to provide a cabin view.  Below is the view from the cabin.

My view from the Meadows of Dan Cozy Cabin #2

Today, I have almost completed 100 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would have completed more, but I took a detour and made an error.  

The Blue Ridge Parkway is not just the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are many interesting side roads and sites throughout the entire Parkway. So, I was up and in the car by 9 a.m. Instead of taking the Blue Ridge Parkway, I would take Highway 58, as there were supposedly unbelievable views. Highway 58 would take me to Stewart, Virginia, where they supposedly had a “love” sign.

My first stop was Fred Clifton Park, which has the Lover's Leaf Overlook. This overlook offers an outstanding view and is a very comfortable place to spend time. I then proceeded to Stuart, Virginia, where the love sign is, quite frankly, overrated. 

Lover's Leaf Overlook

Link to information


I should have planned for the significant construction on Highway 58. I later learned that a $300 million project is underway to expand Highway 58 from two to four lanes over the six-mile span to Stuart, Virginia. This construction had many one-lane portions, and delays were frequent. It was almost noon before I was ready to venture to the Blue Ridge Parkway from Stuart. 


The best way to avoid construction on Highway 58 and return to the Blue Ridge Parkway was the Wellwine Highway. Along the highway were a covered bridge, a fantastic, vacant Mercantile building, and other solid sightseeing locations. I noticed that many of the companies in rural Virginia have their own water towers. I assume it's because they need to get water pressure that they cannot get from Wells. 

Vacant mercantile

Jack's Creek Covered Bridge

Jack's Creek Covered Bridge

Jack's Creek Covered Bridge

Jack's Creek Covered Bridge

A rototiller that is part of the tree!

By the time I made the parkway, it was 1:15 p.m. Over the next 90 miles, I made several stops along the parkway. One of the main stops was the Mabry Mill, where I spent at least an hour. 

The Mabry Mill was constructed in 1905 by Ed and Lizzie Mabry. It was in operation by 1908 and was used by many in the region who brought their corn to be ground. The mill lacked water power, earning it a reputation as a "slow mill. " Because of this, it would not grind too fast or scorch the corn, which resulted in the Mabry's mill being known for producing some of the finest-tasting corn meal in the region.

Over time, they built a sawmill and woodworking shop right next to the grist mill, and guess what? The waterwheel was extremely helpful, powering many of the tools he used in the shop. He even went on to create a blacksmith shop nearby. Sadly, Ed Mabry passed away in 1938, and the National Park Service bought the property from Lizzie. In 1942, they gave the entire place a fantastic makeover, and it remains a celebration of the amazing culture of Virginia’s Blue Ridge. I’ve included some photos from the Mabry Mill for you to enjoy!

Below are photos from the Mabry Mill.

The mill

The mill

Old wagon

Blacksmith Shop

 I visited many other locations over the next 90 miles. The captions in each photo provide the information.

Buffalo Mountain is in the distance (See it?)

The Saddle Overlook
Trail's Cabin at Smart View

Trail's Cabin at Smart View

Rakes Mill Pond
Smart View Overlook

 

Distressed barns along the Parkway

Distressed structure along the Parkway

Cahas Mountain

Slings Gap

Slings Gap

Slings Gap

 

Roanoke River Overlook

Ransom image returning to the cabin

 

I had about an hour, and I could have continued for an additional 10 to 15 miles. However, I did not bring my extra camera battery, and it was nearly dead. Since it was after 4 p.m., I decided to start the 90-minute drive back to the cabin. 

Until tomorrow, goodnight! 

Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...