Wednesday, August 20, 2025

Off to Sparta

Our plan was to leave town by 8:30 a.m. after waking up at 7:30 a.m. However, there was a problem with the sprinkler timer for the new sod that took some time to resolve. I also noticed it had been a while since I last cleaned and lubricated my chain, and when I checked, I realized it was close to needing a replacement. However, with the tight schedule, I couldn't get to it then and will tackle it after I return.

We left town around 9:30 a.m. and headed toward Norwalk, Wisconsin, which is near the center of the Sparta Bicycle Trail. We planned to ride 11 miles along the Sparta Trail toward Elroy, giving us the chance to see two of the three tunnels on the trail. The drive was smooth, and we stopped for fuel about halfway. Once we reached Sparta, Shelley stopped for ice before continuing to the trailhead.


We arrived at 12:25 p.m. There were only four cars in the lot, so the trail shouldn't be crowded. An advantage of being retired! By 12:45 PM, we were on the trail. Immediately, we passed a set of bleachers and what looked like a tractor pull field. I found out they hold a National Tractor Pull competition here every year. This year, it was August 8-10.

 

Within the first half-mile, we crossed the first of many small bridges. The trail was slightly uphill for three miles until we reached Tunnel #2. The tunnels are numbered from east to west. Tunnels 1 and 2 are about a quarter mile long, while Tunnel #3 is three-quarters of a mile long. Shelley was in heaven, surrounded by pristine wildflowers and the pastoral countryside landscape. Then we arrived at the dark, dingy tunnel.


Tunnel #1 Description


Ready for tunnel 2
Shelley began walking through the tunnel following the signs. The walls seem to get narrower the farther in you go, and the dripping water, along with the jagged edges from blasting, give it a creepy vibe. On both sides of the tunnel, there is a small drainage channel. This made the ride feel very eerie. Because of the very poor lighting (I gave Shelley the best light I had and used a headlamp meant for reading), I decided to ride slowly through without any issues. Shelley mounted her bike and rode the last half of the tunnel. She said that the dark walls, running water, and poor surface increased her fear. So, 3.25 miles in, Shelley already wanted to cut part of the trail.

The next three miles gently slope downhill toward the Village of Wilton. I was able to coast most of the way. When we reached Wilton, they had a great trailhead with a caboose, restrooms, a bike repair station, and a nice spot to sit and relax. We spent 20 minutes taking a few pictures and enjoying the area.


The next six miles involved a gentle climb to Tunnel #1. Previous reports indicated that the trail through Tunnel #1 was more challenging than the one through Tunnel #2. One report mentioned it took 50 percent longer to walk through Tunnel #1 than Tunnel #2. Once we arrived, we took a break to read the signs and prepare Shelley for the trip through the tunnel. 


Tunnel #2 Description


Shelley walked through the tunnel as I rode again without trouble. At the tunnel’s end, she was almost in tears from fear. The dark walls, strange sounds, rivers flowing on either side, and the darkness itself overwhelmed her. She doubted turning back, but there was no choice. We’d gone 11 miles and decided to turn around here instead of continuing to the trail’s end in Elroy.


Survived the tunnel

Long exposure image of the dark tunnel



Wilton photo opportunity

Gained confidence to enter Tunnel 1


After encouraging her to start, I rode behind her to boost her confidence. The fear in her voice echoed as we entered the tunnel. Shelley looked on the brink of a nervous breakdown, having survived something terrifying. We had one more tunnel before returning to the car in Norwalk. After a 15-minute rest, she was calm and ready to continue.


We finished the six-mile downhill ride to Wilton without problems. Upon arrival, we rested to boost Shelley’s confidence for the next tunnel. We ate snacks on a shaded bench, looking northeast at Wilton.


It was only two miles of a gradual incline to tunnel #2, and Shelley was not looking forward to it. I reminded Shelley of the mental training I had from my college tennis days—some advice from Dennis Waitley. I have used his training many times in my life. The following excerpt from the training is what I told Shelley.


  Suppose I put $1,000 at the end of a three-foot-wide, solid metal, 100-foot-long beam on the floor. I ask you to walk from one end to the other, pick up the $1,000, and walk back. This is an easy activity. You would NEVER fail if it is on the ground. I've now installed the metal beam 250 feet in the air. It is in a controlled environment, no wind, only a change in height. I ask you to cross and retrieve $10,000 and return. Fear sets in and takes a task you could do without any difficulty on the ground, and now you might crawl on your hands and knees or not retrieve the money at all. The only change is the self-induced fear.


Upon arrival, we immediately entered the tunnel. I wanted Shelley to move quickly and avoid fear. She slowly made her way through. Relief washed over her as she emerged from the dreadful tunnels.


On the way from Tunnel #2 to Norwalk, Shelley stopped to admire the flowers and relax. The gentle downhill made for a pleasant end to the day. However, she said it’s only three miles to the last tunnel, and if I wanted to ride it, she’d like to do the ride to the tunnel but not into it! On to tunnel three we went!


Tunnel #3, the longest and trickiest, was pitch black and damp. Unlike the others, it lacked a light at the end. Thick fog obscured the walls, making it difficult to see even with Shelley’s bright light. Rain continuously fell, creating ruts and puddles. The waterways on either side were twice as wide as the others. Eerie sounds echoed through the tunnel, intensifying the fear of claustrophobia and the dark. 

Tunnel #3 description

Despite my 750-lumen headlamp, the creepy atmosphere, dripping water, and jagged walls made it a terrifying experience. Shelley waited anxiously at the other end.


Trail blocked - just enough room to proceed

Prepare for Tunnel 3


We took a quick break to rest and dry off before heading back to the car and calling it a day. Shelley noticed the sign indicating that Tunnel #3 was dug beneath natural springs, and water is dripping down everywhere.


Our ride back was smooth, with Shelley stopping to snap a few more amazing photos. By the time she reached the end, she was happy with the trip and feeling calm. We loaded up the bikes and headed to the Best Western in Sparta. We arrived and checked in by 6:00 PM. We looked into some local spots to eat and decided on Sparta Family RestaurantOur food arrived in under five minutes! We made a great call – Shelley had a cheeseburger and I had chicken and dumplings. Both were fantastic. We were so satisfied that we skipped dessert.


Shelley craved ice cream, but options were scarce. We visited Dairy Queen, which was unsatisfying and reminded me why I hadn’t been there in a while. Our last stop was the Sparta Trailhead (Ben Bikin' Information Center) and the famous bike.


Exhausted, we returned to the hotel, relaxed, and worked on this blog post. Then, we settled in for much-needed sleep.


Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...