I woke up at 5:45 AM and headed to the cafeteria, letting Shelley sleep in. She arrived around 7:30 AM, and we decided what to eat. She had a pre-made veggie omelet, sausage, Raisin Bran, and diluted cranberry juice. At the same time, I chose biscuits and gravy, potatoes with gravy, the same omelet, sausage, and pure cranberry juice.
After breakfast, I showered and we packed up. We left for Nashville just before 9:00 AM. I bought sunglasses at Walmart for $49, though I preferred darker ones. Shelley found a better pair she liked more. We were on the road by 9:45 AM. I drove and let Shelley rest, as the grandkids would drain her energy at Allison’s.
We encountered road construction delays and a single accident, but arrived at the Pilot Travel Center in West Paducah, Kentucky, around 12:30 PM. The car’s fuel gauge showed only 30 miles left, so we waited. Gas was $0.45 more expensive in Illinois, saving us over $6.00 on a full tank. We should remember Illinois’s higher gas prices when driving back.
Shelley planned to drive the last 150 miles after lunch, but I suggested I take over during rush hour while she ate in the car. We agreed, and I’m glad we did. We encountered early rush hour traffic in Nashville at 3:15 PM, navigating stop-and-go traffic and frequent lane changes.
We arrived at Allison’s by 3:45 PM after a smooth ride. Sue and Jack (2-year-old grandson) were already there. Jack didn’t recognize Shelley, though she doesn’t see him often, and he’s too young for the Grammy iPad games. I managed to warm him up. We built block structures, knocked them down.
The bus with Maeve, Vera, and Faye arrived around 4:00. They ran from the bus stop, two blocks away, to the house when they saw Grammy. Shelley was playing with them all for a while. Vera worked on her written background for the Student Council election. I tried to help her with the wording, but I accidentally upset her, so I let Grammy finish.
Allison made a yummy chicken sausage and pasta dinner with a Caesar Salad. I purchased magnesium citrate at Whole Foods to address my stomach issues. The drive back was unusual, with many turns getting us out of the neighborhood. Vera beat me in a game of Pig before we watched the Nebraska game with Shelley. We hoped for a good night’s sleep so we could be rested for tomorrow’s drive.
No comments:
Post a Comment