Saturday, August 16, 2025

Hard work, nice results

Hey, guess what? Shelley and I tackled a massive project this week! Seriously, the iron infusions were a lifesaver—I wouldn’t have made it without them! For over a decade, the north side of the backyard was a total jungle. The old rock wall was buried under tons of erosion, and overgrown bushes mostly hid the grass path. The other side of the path was hard-packed dirt where grass couldn’t even grow. We tried adding mulch to the tough soil to spruce things up, but it just turned into a muddy mess that eroded even faster.

Shelley, lacking strength, focused on removing underbrush up the hill while I dug rocks and rebuilt the wall. After clearing, we found several small buckthorn and other plants that required effort to pull out by the roots to prevent regrowth in the rocky soil.

Removing the old shrubs created a six-foot-wide walkway, gaining 3 feet. This space allows us to establish natural turf. We chose shade sod from Gertens loosened the soil, added new topsoil, and laid the sod. Despite the 90-degree heat and humidity, we persevered. Each day, my clothes were drenched in sweat. We hope the new landscaping thrives and remains vibrant. The backyard now looks inviting, rather than unkempt. It was nice to finish the landscaping on Friday.


Original mess - rocks buried in the ground

Rocks were removed from the hill and placed

Another view of the rocks and hill clean up

Finished product

 

The new walkway and wall/hill in the background

It was nice to finish on Friday; the Minnesota Amateur Baseball layoffs have started, marking the end of another season.  I really enjoy town ball and attended some games in Prior Lake, which were very enjoyable. I was also able to review a few more fields. To date, I have reviewed 14 ballfields, with approximately 240 to go!

With the iron infusions, I’ve noticed improvements in my sleep, breathing, and overall mood. I feel more relaxed and less anxious and edgy. It’s great to feel closer to my usual self. However, I wish I could see the hematologist sooner, but I have to wait until November.

It's hard to believe I am only 34 days away from turning 63! Time goes faster each year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...