Wednesday, August 13, 2025

Infusion boredom

This post is a follow-up to my previous posts and more. My anemia is still being treated, going on 9 years with no known cause. I am currently undergoing another round of Venofer infusions. 

I remain confused by the insurance company's decision. They approved nine Venofer infusions over 4.5 years (three rounds every 18 months), compared to three Injectafer infusions in 2017, which lasted over four years. They approved the lower-cost Venofer ($825 per dose), which is 80 percent cheaper per unit. However, the clinic infusion fee makes the overall costs similar, with about $15,625 for Venofer and $15,348 for Injectafer. I assume they consider that I have to pay the deductible each year, and they pay less?  As I have always heard, Medical insurers are more concerned with profit than with our health.

I asked insurance if they would cover the lower-cost treatment and if I would pay for the Injectifer difference; would that be acceptable? Then I found out that the cost of the Injectifer increased by 530 percent because the insurance wouldn't cover it! What a racket.  

I also uncovered an insurance scam in 2017 involving prescription medications. As shown above, the insurance-covered RX cost was $17.04. However, the formula changed, and it no longer covered the refill. It then skyrocketed by 1,431 percent to $243.99! No wonder the uninsured can’t afford to get sick.

I also uncovered an insurance scam in 2017 involving prescription medications. As shown above, the insurance-covered RX cost was $17.04. However, the formula changed, and it no longer covered the refill. It then skyrocketed by 1,431 percent to $243.99! No wonder the uninsured can’t afford to get sick.

I went to a baseball game on Saturday and took some photos. I was testing the Tamron 150-600 f-mount lens as when I accidentally dropped it, and the autofocus stopped working. Since it's on my Nikon Z7ii, I also used the Nikon FTZ II mount. For the needs (Shelley's grandkids and sports), I think I can focus manually and avoid buying the Nikon 180-600 $2,100 replacement.  



Shelley and I are super excited about our third retirement adventure! Since she retired, our trips have been limited because she had to take care of her dad. But now, we’re planning a fun trip to Nashville, and then we’ll head to her daughter’s lake cabin in Alabama, near Jasper on Smith Lake, for three or four nights. After that, we’ll chill in Chattanooga, Tennessee, for a night, and then spend a few nights in the Smoky Mountains with Jordan and Kira. We will head back to Nashville for an NDSU football game before heading home.  I’m really hoping this trip is a relaxing escape, not a stressful one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...