My INR has finally surpassed 2.0, which means that step is now under control. I cannot provide a detailed account of the mental or physical differences I have experienced.
![]() |
| As a bit of fun, I recently found a 37-year-old picture from my early college tennis days. Wow, how things change! |
However, I can share some observations regarding my iron levels. When my iron levels are elevated, I sleep soundly and experience less lethargy. As a reminder, I was diagnosed with anemia, but I was never adequately informed about the severity of this iron disorder. The primary focus was on the blood clots in both lungs and one leg. A physician never told me or provided any educational materials that highlighted the dangers of untreated anemia, such as the genuine risk of a heart attack.
Reflecting on my past few years, I now recognize that many of the ailments I have endured, including fatigue, foggy thinking, poor memory, joint pain, and headaches, can be attributed to anemia. I have even consulted a heart specialist three times, and they identified several issues.
My understanding of anemia was limited. It could cause fatigue and prevent me from donating blood. The key factor that finally clarified my situation was my strong desire to chew ice. I stumbled upon this information while curious about the reason behind my craving for crunchy ice. It was an annoying habit to some, and I had adopted it almost entirely. I had become practically obsessed with eating ice. I kept an iced beverage in my hand at all times. I even started considering the best places to find the finest ice.
After my diagnosis, I read that “eating” ice could be a sign of severe Iron Deficiency Anemia (IDA). I learned about the other symptoms and have been experiencing almost all of them. Along with the ice, I consumed a large Monster Energy Drink each morning. I was addicted to caffeine, and in retrospect, I now realize that it was the only thing that enabled me to get going in the morning and maintain my energy throughout the day. I also learned that dairy products, calcium supplements, and certain types of fiber can interfere with the absorption of iron. I had never heard of this, so I was completely unaware. I only discovered it when I quit my caffeine habit, thinking it was causing my heart to race, and found that without it, I couldn’t make it through mid-morning, much less the rest of the day. My energy level was at zero, and I felt like I was on the verge of collapse. Little did I know that I was.
During my research, I discovered www.IronDisorders.org, the website of the Iron Disorders Institute (IDI). This website provided valuable information that could have led to earlier medical intervention and prevented the near-fatal blood clots.
The website highlighted that low hemoglobin alone is not sufficient to diagnose an iron deficiency. It emphasized the importance of measuring ferritin levels before initiating iron supplementation. Additionally, it clarified that certain conditions and infections can cause hemoglobin levels to decrease, but iron stores may still be elevated. It is crucial to avoid iron supplementation in individuals with iron overload, as it can be extremely dangerous and even fatal.
In summary, my iron level has significantly improved from a low of 6.1 to nearly ten after the most recent infusion and pill-taking over the past four weeks.
Carry on my friends, carry on!
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.

No comments:
Post a Comment