On Thursday, I decided to cycle to work. I felt better, but I was tired of nursing and no longer enjoying anything. The doctor said I could participate in the activity at a level I’m comfortable with. However, they must understand that my comfort level is much higher than usual. Those who’ve completed ultra-marathons know what I mean.
In February, I shared a post about the new bicycle I had ordered but hadn’t received yet. I upgraded the electric assist to one with more torque and range. Additionally, I bought a new bike, the Surly Long Haul Trucker, which is a significant improvement over my old (2006) Cannondale Quick 5. Some people might think electric assist is cheating, but I still need to pedal and maintain a good heart rate to get a workout. I’ve included an example ride with heart rate stats at https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1878980545. For that 12.72-mile, 48.5-minute ride, my average heart rate was 127 BPM, with a peak of 161 BPM. The assist helps me go about 3 MPH faster and makes the hills much easier to climb. I rarely use any assistance on flat ground.
Now, it’s not a secret that I’m a heavier guy. When I bought my Fuji, I had a custom wheel made for it, and it has never broken a spoke, even after over 5,000 miles. However, I recently found two broken spokes on the Bronx rear rim, which was frustrating. I’ve even taken special care to avoid bumps. I was thinking about the words on the frame, “Fff fatties fit fine,” and realized that it means tires, not me.
On Friday, I had more blood work. Despite taking the same medicine dose, my INR dropped 0.6, erasing much of my progress above 2.0. My hemoglobin also dropped by 1.8. I left the hospital with a 6.1 (15+ desires) and an increase to nearly 9.0, but now I’m back below 7. I also had pain in my right calf, and an ultrasound found a new clot. Despite being on blood thinners for three weeks, they suggested I go to the hospital for additional tests. I’m often confused about this.
Until we resolve this issue, I will continue to administer 0.9 mL of Lovenox twice daily, take 10 mg of Warfarin once daily, and 65 mg of iron twice daily. Let's see where the next week takes me.

No comments:
Post a Comment