I’ve been researching blood clots and low iron. A study by Imperial College London found that people with low iron levels have a higher risk of dangerous blood clots. A survey suggests that treating iron deficiency may prevent lethal blood clots. This made me feel better about my clots, but I realized that iron is now my primary focus.
My recent blood test showed a hemoglobin level of 10.2 g/dL. I feel better because of the increase in my iron levels. I rode my bike to work for two consecutive days (14 miles each way) and felt slightly tired by the end of the second day. I've noticed that I’m much less fatigued on rides than I was in the past year.
My body needs iron to make hemoglobin-rich red blood cells that carry oxygen from my lungs to my muscles. Endurance athletes adapt to training by increasing blood flow and producing iron-rich red blood cells, which help them sustain their physical performance. This maintains hemoglobin concentration stability, but using more iron may deplete reserves, leading to problems. I learned this over two years ago.
Research by Dr. Laura Garvican at the University of Canberra (Australia) reveals that iron’s benefits extend beyond red blood cell production. It also plays a crucial role in energy metabolism, immune function, and brain processes. Low ferritin levels, a marker of iron reserves primarily stored in the bone marrow, suggest that the body prioritizes hemoglobin production, potentially compromising iron’s essential functions if iron supply is limited.
Athletes, especially endurance athletes, struggle to maintain iron levels due to several reasons. Endurance training stimulates the production of red blood cells, thereby increasing the demand for iron. Repeated jarring foot strikes in sports like running can physically break red blood cells. Heavy sweating and gastrointestinal bleeding also lead to iron loss. While minor bleeding may seem insignificant, it can have a significant impact over time.
A recent study by Florida State University researchers, published in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, found that intense workouts increase hepcidin levels, which partially block iron absorption. Hepcidin peaks three to six hours after exercise, so Dr. Garvican suggests taking iron supplements first thing in the morning on an empty stomach or immediately after a workout before hepcidin levels rise.
I would take more iron and read that too much iron is as harmful as too little. I also learned that diet influences the body’s ability to absorb iron: Vitamin C aids absorption, while coffee and tea can hinder it.
I should pay more attention to my iron intake, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. However, could iron infusions be the solution? I’m uncertain, but I’m optimistic. I’ve been feeling better, at least for the past three days. I’ve learned that low iron levels can quickly ruin a great day, and I’ll cherish this positive feeling for as long as I can.
As I close, I found this old photo. Who could this be? He needs help with those teeth!
No comments:
Post a Comment