With two short weeks remaining before our departure from Golden, Colorado, a multitude of uncertainties have begun to surface within my mind. Are we adequately prepared for this journey?
- Are we prepared?
- What could go wrong?
- What could go right?
- Can we average 75 miles a day?
- Where are the stops?
- Can we really accomplish this?
They say I should do some 40-plus-mile preparation rides. They say that after 40 miles, you will notice issues arising on longer rides. We have both completed several rides over 40 miles.
My son’s been dealing with a nasty cold, and he’s a bit worried about how long he’ll be able to ride. We originally planned the trip to be 880 miles, but I’m planning to take the route on May 10, and I’m guessing that number might increase depending on the condition of the roads. If we’re only aiming for 880 miles, we’ll need to average at least 58 miles a day to get back in time to help Leslie Bourland move. Ideally, we’d love to spend 12 days riding at 70 miles a day. Both seem doable! If we get some good winds and average 80 miles a day, we could make it in 11 days. Eighty miles a day, with a whole day off in the middle, would be perfect.
I’ve been diving into some reading and preparing for the common physical issues that can arise without warning. I’ve heard that physical ailments tend to get worse as the days go by on the road. So, here are some things to keep an eye out for, but it’s not an exhaustive list:
- Oh no, shortness of breath and chest tightness are definitely something to worry about! I’ve had asthma flare-ups before, especially when allergens or polluted air get to me. It can become particularly severe after a few days of exposure. This spring is supposed to be the worst allergy season in ages, so I’m really hoping it doesn’t happen to me. I’ll bring my two inhalers and some Sudafed. Regardless, I plan to take nighttime allergy medicine to help me sleep and get back on track each night.
- I foresee pain, tingling, or numbness in my fingers or wrists. That’s a bummer! Let’s make sure we’re giving our hands some love and movement while we’re biking. I’ll definitely have two pairs of padded bike gloves to keep things comfy.
- Oh my goodness, chafing on the seat is definitely my most significant concern! Even a tiny bit of chafing can turn into rubbed-through skin, ingrown hairs, and saddle sores (those deep, painful cysts) over a few days. So, I grabbed an athletic lubricant to help out with the chafing spots.
- Knee pain can be challenging. It could mean my seat is at the wrong height (probably too low), or I’m pedaling too hard in high gear. I need to tweak my seat so my knees aren’t bent more than a 90-degree angle and switch to my lower gears. Pedaling easier strokes is a win for my knees and heart.
- And back pain? Well, it’s actually pretty awesome! Well-conditioned cyclists develop strong abdominal muscles to support their torsos, which is far better than relying solely on their back muscles. I’ve been doing sit-ups and crunches, which should really help.
- Oh no, sunburn! I’ve got SPF 50 sunscreen and sunglasses, which is excellent. I don’t have a helmet with a visor, but I might think about getting one soon.
- I’m feeling a bit nauseous, have a headache, and I’m super thirsty. Those are all signs that I might be dehydrated. If I didn’t have to stop for a bathroom break for the last three hours, maybe I wouldn’t have had enough water. I really need to drink a lot more. Oh, and I should remember that dehydration can also make me feel really constipated.
Oh my goodness, there’s so much to fret about, and I totally get that worry isn’t really helpful. However, confidence can make the whole trip a breeze! I need to keep that in mind and really soak up the adventure.
It’s like, what a crazy mix of worries and not-so-worries before an epic adventure! Fingers crossed, I pack better than those folks in the picture below.

No comments:
Post a Comment