Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day 6 finished

We slept in today. Jordan had trouble sleeping with my snoring. I woke at 5:45 AM and sat in the breakfast room. I returned at 7:30 AM and quietly packed while he slept. I woke him at 8:30 AM as the breakfast closed at 9:00 AM. He looked exhausted.


We started later at 10:41 AM, which delayed another flat tire—my front tire. Changing a tube was challenging due to limited hand strength, and pumping the tires was also tricky. We left Grand Island, Nebraska, with a headwind of 10 to 12 mph. It felt okay because the past two days were over 20 mph. Drafting was tiring, and I almost ran into Jordan if I wasn’t paying attention. I tried to avoid tension. I hope for a tailwind so we can ride side by side.


Local store = a simple life is evident

We got a hotel room last night, even though we planned to camp. Our bodies were exhausted, and we needed another round of ice baths. A storm woke us a few times, and we were inside. The winds were over 40 mph, and rain pelted the windows. 


Day 6 was supposed to be an easy 64-mile ride, but the wind was still a headwind, albeit less severe than it had been over the last three days. I drafted behind Jordan, who kept asking, “What wind?”


We stopped at a small local station for a break and to grab some drinks. It was the farmer’s morning hangout, as they had cups hanging on the wall. The worker turned the cups to the right place for the next day. The midday heat was brutal, and I never acclimated to the heat over 70 degrees. The sun was intense all day, and I bet I’m overloaded with Vitamin D.


We had a minor issue on the 67.1 miles in 6 hours 32 minutes, with 4 hours and 48 minutes on the bike, which was the highest pace so far at an average of 14 mph. Late into the ride, I felt dizzy from the heat and told Jordan I was coming from the left, but I was actually on the right. My stupidity almost caused a two-bike crash at 17 mph. Fatigue decreases our communication skills.


We needed another solid night to recover, so we stopped as planned at a Sleep Inn just outside Columbus, Nebraska. We washed all our clothes, ate at Applebee’s, and were in bed before 10 PM. We plan to ride 71 miles tomorrow and 60 miles the following day, which should put us in Iowa. The following two days have a favorable forecast with moderate winds, but some nasty hills are expected. 


Summary of Day 6:


The total distance covered was 67.1 miles at an average speed of 14 miles per hour (excluding riding time). The total on-bike time was 4 hours and 48 minutes. The day lasted 6 hours and 32 minutes, with a temperature range of 66°F to nearly 86°F.


According to Garmin Connect, the total ascent was 60 feet, while the descent was 432 feet. Consequently, the net decrease in elevation was 351 feet, resulting in a change from 1,846 feet to 1,495 feet overall.

Our 10-mile splits from MapMyRide (time includes breaks, and mph is only riding time) were:


0-10 in 0:41:57 - 14.6 mph

10-20 in 0:39:18 - 15.2 mph

20-30 in 1:08:11 - 12.8 mph

30-40 in 1:17:25 - 14.0 mph

40-50 in 0:50:01 - 14.1 mph

50-60 in 1:23:12 - 13.3 mph

Last 7.1 in 0:31:22 - 13.8 mph


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...