Saturday, April 19, 2014

Getting ready for an epic bicycle ride!

I have been tasked with the logistics, planning, and preparation for the approximately 1440-kilometer bicycle journey from Denver to Minneapolis, which my son and I intend to undertake on May 17. This date coincides with the birthdays of my son’s mother and his girlfriend, which was an unforeseen occurrence. Initially, we had planned to commence our journey on May 10, but various unforeseen circumstances necessitated a week-long delay.


Their meticulous analysis and planning for potential challenges are considerably more intricate than I had anticipated. Initially, we commenced by purchasing my son a bicycle. While he possesses my former Cannondale SR400 and a Cannondale Quick 5, these bicycles do not meet my criteria for touring. Consequently, we procured a Jamis Quest Comp, an all-steel bicycle equipped with a robust Shimano Sora derailleur, SRAM 9-speed 11-28 rear derailleurs, and an FSA Vero triple (50/39/30) front derailleur.


Fuji Roubaix 2.0 

Jamis Quest Comp


 I own a Fuji Roubaix 2.0, which could be better for touring stock. I’ve upgraded the custom front and rear wheels. I maintain it for essential repairs, so it’s in good shape. I had a complete overhaul and discovered a small crack in the crank. Fortunately, Fuji has a lifetime frame warranty for original owners, so they upgraded me to a 2013 Roubaix 1.5, though I had to pay $250 to move the parts.


With the bikes operational, I considered gear options: panniers or trailers. Panniers aren’t compatible with my bike, so I researched trailers and chose a Bob Ibex for the trip.



Next, I’ll focus on food, water, parts, tools, routes, and camping equipment.


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


wildknits
This sounds like it will be quite the trip.  I would like to hear how you like the Bob trailer. We picked one up via a garage sale. It needs a little TLC and I am still trying to sort out if it will work on my new bike or not (700cc vs 26" wheels). Sunday, April 20, 2014 at 10:02:45 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...