Wednesday, May 21, 2014

5th day complete

At 1:30 PM on Wednesday, May 21, we have traveled over 400 miles. We made a stop in Kearney to dine at Q’Doba. Although we had planned to depart early this morning, I (Londell) awoke at 5:30 AM, and the wind was gusting at 20 mph. I was exhausted and experiencing significant soreness from the wind on Tuesday, and I desired to allow Jordan to rest as he had exerted considerable effort.


Approximately 8:00 AM, I awakened Jordan, and the wind had increased to approximately 25 mph. In the absence of a return to Colorado, we were facing a strong northeast wind. Jordan proposed that we travel to Kansas City in three days, given the prevailing wind conditions.


Fortunately, the wind is anticipated to diminish to 17 mph later today and 15 mph on Thursday. I had never anticipated looking forward to riding in a 10-15 mph headwind, but after this morning’s experience, it appears to be an acceptable alternative. 


The arduous nature of the ride is exacerbated by the persistent headwind. Regrettably, I have developed a painful blister on my right hand. Despite the challenges, I am thoroughly enjoying my time with Jordan.


This day has proven to be particularly difficult. The wind was exceptionally strong, making it nearly impossible to maintain a steady pace. Our Garmin indicated a speed of approximately 11 mph, but a passing truck abruptly reduced our speed to around 9.5 mph. On several occasions, we were momentarily at risk of being thrown off the bike and into the ditch.


The initial 20 miles from Lexington, Nebraska, proved to be a source of stress for Jordan and me. While the respite at Kearney, Nebraska, provided some relief, the 90-degree heat and the wind took their toll approximately 15 miles out of Kearney. Jordan now carried an additional 20 pounds of bike weight for the second day, and I believe he was experiencing discomfort.


We harbor deep affection and care for one another. However, we descended to a level of bickering reminiscent of Frank and Marie Barone, Archie and Edith Bunker, Al and Peg Bundy, or any other well-known couples. While it was always apparent that they loved each other, their constant bickering was a defining characteristic. Today, we both reached our breaking point and exchanged some rather harsh words. We have become that old couple who elicits laughter and amusement from others as they engage in their incessant bickering. 




We’d had enough of the divine wrath for a while! We’d just wrapped up about 55 miles and were still heading towards Grand Island, NE, with another 25 miles to go. We’d already had five flat tires, and to top it off, we didn’t pack the right pump. Plus, we were stuck with a third day of over 80 degrees with the sun blazing down. We might need a third tube of sunscreen before we even finish the ride!


Anyway, I ended up yelling at Jordan to “go the *&@# home,” and I took off. He did start back, but after about 25 minutes and a lot of wasted energy, we regrouped. It could have been a better scene. We’ve both been totally destroyed by the hard past few days! Also, Jordan hasn’t been sleeping well. He’s a real light sleeper, and my snoring keeps him awake. In fact, I learned last night that he slept on the bathroom floor to avoid my snoring.


We worked together and pushed on. Several times, we stopped and fell over the handlebars. It looked like we were dry-heaving from the sheer exhaustion of fighting the wind and the truck traffic, which was at least one every minute. 


Despite the arduous journey, we completed our 10.4-hour total, with 7 hours and 3 minutes dedicated to cycling, and arrived at Grand Island at 7:45 PM.

In contrast to our initial plan of camping, we opted for a more comfortable accommodation at the Travel Lodge. We replenished our supplies by purchasing ice, stocking up at the grocery store, and ordering pizza and wings. Additionally, we implemented a rotation of ice baths to alleviate the physical strain on our bodies.


Although my body has been significantly fatigued, and I feel more exhausted than when I completed the Superior 50-mile trail race in 2007, I am only halfway through this challenging endeavor.


SUMMARY FOR THE FIRST 5 DAYS


  • Saturday - 111.1 miles (15 added miles due to bike issues) - 8 hours and 44 minutes biking at a 12.8 mph pace and over 13 hours for the trip!
  • Sunday - 90.6 miles - 7 hours 10 minutes biking at a 12.7 mph pace and just under 12 hours for the day
  • Monday - 93.3 miles - 7 hours 10 minutes biking at a 2.9 mph pace and just over 10 hours for the trip
  • Tuesday - 87.6 miles - 7 hours 22 minutes biking at an 11.0 mph pace and 12 hours 21 minutes for the trip.
  • Wednesday - 78.9 miles - 7 hours 3 minutes biking at an 11.2 mph pace and 10 hours 20 minutes on the trip


TOTAL miles in the first 5 days: 461.5 miles, 37 hours, 41 minutes total time biking, and 47:40 out on the road, and a 12.25 mph average pace.


This average daily mileage is 92.3 miles, with the majority of it being affected by strong headwinds. It is truly remarkable how we have managed to maintain this pace. To provide a comparative perspective, we were cycling for as long as most individuals work in five days. It is important to note that in an eight-hour workday, most people receive two paid 15-minute breaks, resulting in a typical workweek of 37 hours and 30 minutes. Therefore, the first five days are equivalent to cycling every working minute in a standard workweek.


For tomorrow, we have decided that the maximum distance we will travel in a single day will be 64.6 miles in Columbus, Nebraska. However, the weather forecast predicts a 30% chance of rain, but only a 15 mph headwind. This situation raises the same question that I posed at the beginning: if Nebraska is considered God’s country, then it appears that we are not welcome there.


Summary of Day 5:


The total distance covered was 78.9 miles, with an average speed of 11.2 miles per hour (excluding breaks). The total riding time was 7 hours and 3 minutes. The day’s total time was slightly over 10 hours, with a temperature range of 59°F at the beginning to nearly 88°F at the peak.


According to Garmin Connect, the total ascent was 287 feet, while the descent was 794 feet. The elevation change was a net decrease of 1,033 feet, from 2,879 feet to 1,846 feet.


Our 10-mile splits from MapMyRide (time includes breaks, and mph is only riding time) were:


0-10 in 1:01:14 - 10.3 mph

10-20 in 1:07:21 - 12.4 mph

20-30 in 1:08:25 - 11.5 mph

30-40 in 2:04:18 - 10.7 mph

40-50 in 1:50:31 - 10.4 mph

50-60 in 0:57:13 - 11.8 mph

60-70 in 1:12:40 - 11.1 mph

Last 8.9 in 0:57:28 - 11.8 mph


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


cnelaneMay 22, 2014 at 7:24 AMI think you need a snickers bar, you're just not yourself when you're hungry! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...