![]() |
| Grandmas, 2013 |
Time flies when you’re young, but it seems to speed up as you age. A year once seemed like forever, but now it feels like a week. I’m not complaining because life is what we make of it, and 2013 was a weak effort. I won’t boast about achievements or complain about my health struggles. Instead, I would like to express my gratitude to all of you for being part of my life and for your friendship and support.
The highlight of 2013 was completing my 29th consecutive Grandma’s Marathon. It was an unusual race, with the fog so dense that I missed most of the mile markers. Surprisingly, I found the race easier, not knowing where I was, and continued pushing forward. The image below depicts the challenging conditions.
My workout effort and bike mileage were significantly reduced compared to the previous year. In 2012, I logged over 250 hours of workouts or exercise and nearly 3,000 miles on the bike. This averaged over 40 minutes of exercise daily, which was satisfactory. However, 2013 was a complete letdown. I worked over 110 hours (an average of 18 minutes daily) and only managed to log less than 1,500 miles on the bike. I need to prioritize self-care and find a better balance in my life.
In 2013, I faced numerous changes. In late 2012, I was promoted to a supervisory role, which included conducting performance reviews and administering discipline. This led to letting go of a staff member for minor issues. I also felt the need for personal growth, possibly due to self-pity.
I upgraded my camera equipment and was pleased with the result. I purchased a Nikon D600 (Full-Frame), a Nikon 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens, a Tamron 10-24 mm f/3.5 lens, and a Nikon 50 mm f/1.4 lens. I also got an Epson R3000 and printed many pictures at home. Some of my favorite images are shown below.
|
| ||||
|
|
![]() |
| Bloomington, MN Fireworks |
![]() |
| My son achieved a tweener! |
Passing 50 brought a moment of introspection. Reflecting on my life, I realize I made numerous mistakes and acknowledge that it’s impossible to go back and change them. Despite this, I’m grateful that my son is doing well and appears content. My ex-wife seems genuinely happy, which is wonderful. She remains one of the best friends anyone could ever ask for, and I often miss her. It’s amusing how things change when you marry a friend. She deserves happiness as she approaches her mid-40s. While I believe things happen for a reason, as I’ve mentioned before, I still search for explanations for certain things that don’t make sense to me.
I spent much of 2013 reflecting on dear friends who passed away too soon. It’s hard to believe my three-year-old nephew, who died almost 25 years ago, was nearly 25. I still mourn the loss of my running partner and great friend, Dana, in a bicycle accident in 2005-2006. I vividly recall the image of my high school friend, David Prudlick, who was killed in my senior year. I also often think of Cutis Arthur Almond, the professor who believed in me and gave me the confidence to pursue my graduate work. May they, and many others, rest in peace.
I genuinely hope that 2014 brings you all good health and immense happiness. I know that I will have to contend with the fluid in the brain issue and the recurring infection that has recently sidelined me. The Prednisone, Levaquin, and other steroids have been quite challenging for me. At times, I feel tempted to give up, but then I remember that that would not be an admirable choice.
Hey, remember we’re only here for a short while—sometimes not even a long one! So, make sure to soak up those runs and the fresh air. As we age, those unforgettable moments can become increasingly difficult to come by. But if everything were easy, what would motivate us to keep going? It’s the challenge and the triumph that make it all worth it, you know?
I still require goals for 2014. One idea is to celebrate my son’s graduation with his Master’s Degree and subsequently embark on a bicycle journey from Denver to his home. This endeavor would encompass a distance of approximately 1,440 kilometers. While it would present a formidable challenge, it holds the potential to create enduring memories.
Happy New Year, and Carry on, my friends.
All you quiet dreamers, carry on!
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.







No comments:
Post a Comment