I bet you’re tired of my blog rambling about my exercise success or event reports. I started the 2014 New Year strong with six consecutive days of varied-level workouts. However, on the seventh day, I had a physician’s visit. I’m beginning to believe that the mind can destroy the body, but the body can’t destroy the mind. It’s crazy how a physician’s words and facial expressions can just send your mental well-being spiraling downward.
While I’m still uncertain about the cause of this persistent infection that I can’t seem to shake off in the long run, my physician and I believe it originated from the bike accident that occurred several years ago. I’m currently undergoing a step-down regimen of prednisone (30, 20, 10, 5, and 2.5 mg every four days, totaling 20 days) and eight days of 500 mg Levaquin treatment. If these treatments prove ineffective, I anticipate that surgery will be necessary. Is it acceptable to express my growing weariness of battling this condition? I detest the Levaquin! It makes me feel as though my muscles have dried up into beef jerky.
Whatever the outcome, I won’t let this hinder my determination to complete Grandma’s Marathon for the 30th consecutive year. Yes, I’ve registered, and so has my son. I’m not sure why he would willingly accompany me on this arduous run, but he has registered nonetheless. He’s an exceptional individual; I’m at a loss to comprehend the circumstances that led to his transformation. It must be the nurturing nature he inherited from his mother.
Well, tomorrow is a new day. I need to remember that each day is a blessing.
As many are aware, I’ve had recurring thoughts about my grandfather, Bill, and his stories. For quite some time, one particular story has been particularly troubling to me. He once instructed the children to place their hands on the Bible after we had committed another misdeed. This lesson emphasized the consequences of telling a lie that had escalated to a point where it was impossible to conceal.
As he began his story, he emphasized the significance of upholding the morals and virtues inherent in God. He posed a thought-provoking question, “Imagine how history would have unfolded had Abraham Lincoln not confessed to chopping down the Cherry Tree.” Despite the children’s attempts to correct him, Grandpa remained steadfast in his conviction. He concluded his statement with a foreboding warning, “Someday, you will comprehend.” Although I never fully grasped the lesson at the time, I believe I have come to understand it four decades later.
He insisted he was right, and we grandchildren shook our heads at his foolish statement. He intentionally told a lie and insisted he was right, making us realize that when you know you’re wrong and keep trying to convince others, you look increasingly stupid. He’s right; not living the truth can be embarrassing.
I will wait for the Levaquin to allow my muscles to lubricate again and start regular workouts. Mentally, I want to work out, but physically, I struggle.
No comments:
Post a Comment