Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Home Free

I’ve never been a big fan of a cappella music. I never quite understood or experienced its art form. To me, music needed a solid drumbeat and a great guitar riff to be truly enjoyable. That all changed on December 14, 2013, when I received a gift ticket to the Home Free concert at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul, Minnesota.


As I entered the theater, I was surprised to find the stage empty. There were only five stools and a few lights. How could they possibly rock the hall? How could we experience the music and the energy that only a skilled drummer and a guitar virtuoso can create? I was initially looking forward to a nap.


The concert started with outstanding percussion and a great stand-up bass sound. However, only two singers were present, while the other three created incredible instruments. I was amazed by their talent!


I bought all five CDs, as well as another by Tim Foust, a former solo musician. I was eager to get the songs on my iPod. To my surprise, the CDs were from when Austin Brown and Tim Foust weren’t in the band. The other three members are talented, but adding these two significantly improves the music. While the CDs were okay, I didn’t enjoy the new stuff; I couldn't listen to it all day.  


Here are some great videos if you have not seen them:

So, if you hear about them coming to town, spend some time experiencing the raw talent. It will be a wonderful experience.


Oh, as a side note, on December 23, they won the A Cappella competition (Sing Off), which was a very deserving win. Hope you get the chance to enjoy the talent. I know I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...