Sunday, April 14, 2013

Intestinal Health?

Yesterday I spent three hours with a nutritionist. We discussed my medical history, including all the medications I’ve taken. She diagnosed me with a severe intestinal disorder. We believe this is the result of the antibiotics, prednisone, and other medications I used from 2007 to 2011. Additionally, the continuous use of a nasal spray steroid for my sinus issues has worsened the condition.


To address this, she prescribed a few nutritional supplements to restore the intestinal bacteria and a strict diet. I want to clarify that this doesn’t mean I have to count calories or meticulously monitor my food intake. Instead, I have specific food groups, some of which I can eat in unlimited amounts, while others require daily limits. Today was the first day, and I needed assistance in consuming the recommended amounts of each food group. These are my traditional farm meals, which exclude pasta, cheese, and milk.


Furthermore, I’ll be tracking my fatigue levels, chest congestion, sleep patterns, hunger periods, and other non-food-related data.


This makes sense based on the subsequent reading. If I eat a lot of food but get minimal nutritional value, it’s because my digestive system isn’t functioning correctly. This prevents the body from absorbing the necessary vitamins and nutrients, and it also doesn’t produce the nutrients that make me feel good.


Another symptom that strongly suggests this is an actual issue is that when I eat and the food isn’t being processed, my bowel movements increase. It’s not uncommon for me to have four or more bowel movements daily. This makes sense if the food isn’t flowing through my digestive system properly or if I’m not getting the right amount of nutrients. This could explain why I’m always tired, hungry, and gaining weight.


She said the bacteria in my GI tract are often overlooked and misunderstood components of weight loss and longevity. Inadequate or problematic intestinal flora can lead to various weight and health issues. She asked several questions, and I answered yes many times.


  1. Do you get stomach bloat after eating carbs? 
  2. Is your fat consumption relatively low, but you still have a protruding stomach? 
  3. Do you not seem to recover well after exercise?

Below is a helpful handout that graphically illustrates what I believe is the issue.



Gut flora refers to the delicate balance of microbes and ‘germs’ in the human gut (stomach, small and large intestines, colon). It’s a communal relationship where only one side benefits (the human).


There are billions of gut flora bacterial cells, comprising over 400 strains. Stomach bacteria can weigh up to 22 lbs! Many stomach bacteria have been identified, but several types remain to be explored due to their resistance to culturing techniques. 


The problem is that many types of intestinal flora can't survive outside the warm, incubating human body and can't be studied alive.


I inquired about the role of the flora in our stomach and intestines and their connection to weight loss, fitness, and overall health. I discovered an explanation: “Many of the bacteria in our gut work symbiotically within the human body. The composition of our intestinal bacteria influences various physiological processes, including our immune system, carbohydrate digestion, the prevention of irritable bowel syndrome, nutrient absorption, energy production, and more.


For weight loss and fitness, proper nutrition is crucial for achieving and maintaining a lean and fit physique. Our intestinal flora has a significant impact on the assimilation and absorption of the food we consume. However, an equally important aspect that is often overlooked is the influence of our diet on the composition of our intestinal flora.


One example is the excessive consumption of sugar. Certain bacteria within our gut thrive on a high-sugar diet, most notably Candida Albicans. If you experience bloating in your lower abdomen after consuming sugar, it may indicate a Candida bloom. These bacteria produce endotoxins, which are poisonous substances that reside within the bacteria themselves. When these bacteria die, the toxins they contain flood into your body, triggering an immune response. If you’ve ever felt nauseous after consuming sugar, the endotoxins released from unhealthy gut bacteria are likely the cause. This is just one example demonstrating that if you want to lose weight, stay fit, and maintain a lean physique for life, you must not ignore the influence of the microorganisms residing in your gut.”


A good article: http://chriskresser.com/a-healthy-gut-is-the-hidden-key-to-weight-loss


If she’s correct, it’s time to recover from long-term prescription antibiotics and steroids. She said it may take six months and to be patient. I’ve been searching for years. The physician gave me antibiotics, steroids, and allergy medicine. This may or may not be the answer. I finally understand why it makes sense.


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...