Sunday, April 7, 2013

Baby Beluga sighting in Apple Valley!

Well, I finally did it! For the past two years, I’ve been running Grandma’s Marathon, which is the only running I’ve ever completed. My training consisted solely of walking and biking. Yesterday, I decided to go for a run, and it was an absolute nightmare! I managed to run over a 13-minute mile. I’ve been dealing with a lot of mucus lately, and my chest has been congested. I was breathing so hard and hacking; it was just a shame. If anyone had heard me, they might have called 911.


I felt like the picture below.


Despite the pain, I’m determined to do this again. It’s the best way to get back into shape. I’ve registered for Grandma’s Marathon this year once more. If I can finish the race, this will be the 29th consecutive year I’ve done so. I’m not particularly excited about doing that race again, though. It’s still a good race, but I’m tired of going up there and running it. It’s lost all its luster and is no longer any fun. I drive up the night before, sleep in my car from the face, and then come home.


I’m also planning to consult a nutritionist to understand why I’ve gained weight despite meticulously tracking my food intake and maintaining a balanced diet of 1,800-2,200 calories, coupled with at least 500 calories of exercise daily. There might be an underlying issue related to long-term Prednisone and antibiotic use. I’ve read that these medications can disrupt digestion and affect metabolism. The only plausible explanation is that I’m not consuming enough food.


For 2013, I’ve decided to attempt my goal of commuting at least 3,000 miles to and from work on a bicycle. The distance varies depending on my chosen route, ranging from 17.3 to 20.4 miles. Occasionally, the 20.4-mile ride becomes more manageable when the wind is strong from the south. On the other hand, 17.3 miles is primarily on main roads, which can be less safe. The most comfortable and safe ride, especially when the wind is low, is 17.8 miles. Therefore, I need to complete 85-88 days of commuting.


Unlike last year, when the temperature was 70° on St. Patrick’s Day, we’re already in April and have experienced snowfall on Friday. This means I won’t be able to make as much progress towards my goal this year as I did last year. However, last year, I fell short by only four commutes. That was quite disheartening. Nevertheless, it’s a reality that I must accept.


My girlfriend and I decided to visit Colorado in early May. She’ll fly back after spending three days there, while I’ll spend an additional six days helping my son clean up and build a desk. My son plans to take a trip to Europe after school ends and then return to a nice job for the summer. This will be the perfect opportunity for me to spend some quality time with him before he embarks on a busy summer. During my visit, we’ll also look at new road bikes that I might get him so he can ride to work if he chooses. He currently uses my 1985 Cannondale SR 400 bicycle, which is in good condition but may not be as safe and reliable as a new road bike.


Shelley recently purchased a new bike. It’s absolutely beautiful! It’s a women’s Felt ZW4 equipped with Shimano 105 components. I’m eagerly looking forward to 60 miles of rides this summer. She’ll effortlessly handle this bike. It glides smoothly, and the shifting is seamless.


It’s been 15 months since I quit officiating tennis. I occasionally miss it, but overall, I don’t miss the politics of sports officiating. It’s challenging to officiate sports when the politics and favoritism of specific individuals sometimes influence the outcome. Officiating is becoming a lost sport where you can rely on doing the right thing without constant ridicule.


I will never do sports officiating again. I have been repeatedly asked to return to tennis and other sports, but it's no longer in me. I did sports officiating because it made me feel good about what I was doing, and I enjoyed it. That went away, again, primarily because of the politics of a few people who think they are above the rules. In one way, sports officiating is losing out on someone with a great passion for it, but the ultra-running world is gaining someone who enjoys volunteering and helping out at these wonderful races.


As mentioned earlier, I’ll meet with my sports nutritionist next Saturday. I’ll be familiar with her for about three months, and if she can’t help me get back on track, I don’t think anyone else can. I haven’t reached my peak yet, but I’ve gained 82 pounds since my lowest weight in 2006, when I completed the Superior Hiking Trail 50-mile race. My goal is to lose approximately 60 pounds, which would significantly enhance my overall well-being and happiness. We can only wait and see what happens.


On a sad note, Shelley is heartbroken. Her fifth love has torn his ACL and needs surgery. I know I’m only fourth in her love hierarchy, but I understand her girls are one and two. Her parents are three and four, and Jackson, the man she loves after her divorce, has also torn his ACL. It’s a costly surgery, but Jackson is her third love. She’s known him longer than she’s known me. I’m her fourth love, and I’m very happy about that position!


Wish me well!  


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


SteveQ
There's no way you could take in that number of calories, burn that many exercising, and not lose weight - I've heard a number of people who went through the same thing, and invariably, they were under-reporting what they ate. Always unintentionally, of course. I recall one woman whose food journal was incredibly detailed and was saying the same thing as you; they used radioactive tracing to show that she had to be eating more than she said, and it was only by having her filmed for an entire day that they were able to see how she ate much more than she thought. Dieting is so tricky! Best of luck.  Monday, April 8, 2013 at 10:16:53 AM CDT
wildknits
Prednisone can cause weight gain as well. And long-term antibiotic use can wreak havoc with your gut as well.  Good luck at the nutritionist! The goal seems reasonable.  See you on the trail.   Monday, April 8, 2013 at 7:23:55 PM CDT
Wayne
Keep running. And i hope you get things figured out.  Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 12:49:43 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...