Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Crazy

The past week has been incredibly hectic. But I always say that? I’m curious to know if I’ll lose any weight. I’ve been diligently monitoring my diet and taking the necessary vitamins and supplements. Sometimes, I wonder if all this effort is worth it. Could it be that being overweight simply brings me joy? It’s hard to believe that might be true. Can being a lazy, overweight person be good?


Today, my son called me, and he’s feeling overwhelmed about his schoolwork. He’s worried that he needs to improve his grade point average to complete the program. I reminded him of how challenging and difficult my graduate school experience was. I told him that those were the worst two years of my life. I encouraged him to do his best and stay confident. I’m just hoping he maintains his self-assurance. He already has enough obstacles that don’t need to be exacerbated by his lack of confidence.


Work has been incredibly hectic, and I’m losing vacation time because I need more time to take a vacation. That’s a shame because vacation is meant for relaxation, rest, and being at your best at work. I’m not sure if taking the time off is worth it, considering I'll likely return to a much larger pile of work. I can’t recall the last time I worked less than 60 hours in a week. Some of this is my own doing. I need to learn to separate my personal life from my work life. Better yet, I need to understand that there’s such a thing as a personal life.


My relationship has been subpar. We’re just acquaintances on different paths. My girlfriend has been divorced for over 12 years, and during the Easter holiday, when I was at her place celebrating, she still had little notes from her husband about Easter and family in Easter eggs. I don’t know if she’s letting go. As I mentioned, she was divorced and then hyphenated her name 8 years later. I don’t understand it, which bothers me, but it shouldn’t be an issue. But it is for me! It’s something I’ll never understand, and hopefully, I’ll never want to. In the long run, it’s diminishing the quality of our relationship.


Tomorrow, I’m thrilled about riding my bicycle to work. It’s a peaceful and pleasant way to start the day, covering just over 17 miles one way. However, the forecast predicts freezing temperatures in the morning, which makes the ride less appealing. To combat the cold, I’ll dress in multiple layers, including at least three or four. I’ll also bring icy hot skin warmers and other items to make the journey more comfortable.


I’m aware that many people are facing significant challenges right now, and it’s difficult for me to understand why I feel so self-pitying. My sister, for instance, is struggling to make ends meet after being laid off twice in the past four years. Meanwhile, I find myself overpaid for my work compared to others who earn a quarter of my salary and appear to work much harder. Perhaps that’s the result of having a Master’s degree. I’ve paid my dues to Pac-Man, as I promised my son. I believe that the dues or the advantages of having a graduate degree contribute to my ability to perform specific tasks more comfortably than someone who didn’t undergo the rigorous process of obtaining a graduate degree.


To conclude, I intended to turn a new leaf as of April 1 and start having regular workouts. It is now the evening of April 2, and I have done nothing. I feel like such a failure. I need to quit failing. I really, really need to get my head out of my chair and get going.


Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer vanishes

The summer vanished in a blur of relentless caregiving for Shelley and constantly entertaining the grandkids. Shelley hosts what is called C...