Sunday, August 3, 2008

Litter, Life and luck

It’s absolutely appalling! Trash cans litter the streets, and there’s no apparent reason for people to litter. Are they simply lazy and lacking in intelligence? Do they have no sense of aesthetics? I’m astounded as I cycle through the trash-strewn roads. Today, while running on the Minnesota River path, I encountered a diverse array of trash, from used condoms to Cliff Bar wrappers.


To make matters worse, I intentionally slowed down on the hills today, just like I did on Tuesday. The sight that greeted me was both infuriating and perplexing. So, what’s the difference?


I finally took the plunge and signed up for the 100-mile race on the Superior Website. Despite my weight gain, I’m in better shape than last year. I thought, “Why not?” Last year, I dared to believe I could complete the race. This year, I’m not so sure. Last year, I felt like the Energizer bunny, full of confidence and determination. This year, I feel like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, deflated and defeated. Last year, my life was a whirlwind of chaos, marked by my son's departure for school, my move, and a demanding relationship. This year, I’m bored and have limited time to occupy myself except for work, officiating, and training. I’m lucky if I date or attend an event outside my small circle of friends more than once a month. Perhaps the tale of two 100s is a fitting way to begin my report?


While a successful 100-mile race requires more than just training, luck plays a role, but numerous factors must align for achievement. Weather, nutrition, sleep, transportation, footwear, and countless other considerations must all be in perfect harmony. I will not solely rely on luck. Five weeks remain, and I am determined to maximize my training. The next three weeks will be grueling, involving long runs on weekends and challenging hills on Wednesdays. Additionally, there will be numerous other training sessions in between.


Unfortunately, I was unable to reach the North Shore this weekend. I did not wish to undertake the extended drive or run alone, so I opted to visit RTA instead. I completed five laps plus three additional hills on the hill west of the parking lot. Despite the heat, my pace was slow, averaging approximately 15 minutes per mile. I felt relatively well; my heart rate was low, and I did not experience fatigue, although I was unable to increase my speed. The average heart rate was 133 beats per minute.


Feeling underachieved at RTA, I decided to go for a road bike ride at 2:00 PM. After 18.5 miles against the wind, I experienced dehydration, which is unusual considering the warm weather. However, I felt strong. However, I suspect that I have been stung by a bee just above the inside back of my right knee. While the pain is intense, it does not affect my ability to run or bike.


During my recent Run the City (RTA) run, I listened to a health and exercise-related podcast. The podcast discussed the significance of warming up the heart to enhance race performance. It emphasized that while most people are aware of the importance of warming up skeletal muscles to protect them from injury, many are unaware of the equally crucial role of warming up the heart muscle.


The podcast highlighted that improper warm-ups can lead to various heart-related issues. It underscored that when heat cramps occur, it is often too late to intervene. This underscores the necessity of warming up the heart, especially during intense exercise, particularly in competitive settings. Athletes have long recognized the value of warm-ups in preparing their bodies for physical challenges.


Despite the widespread acceptance of the benefits of warming up, there is limited scientific evidence supporting its performance-enhancing or injury-reducing effects. This is primarily attributed to the ingrained nature of the need for warming up, which poses challenges for researchers in collecting unbiased data. For instance, attempting to sprint at full speed on a fabulous day without warming up can induce a natural inclination to slow down.


It has been scientifically proven that a proper warm-up for the heart can significantly enhance athletic performance. Warming up reduces the strain on the heart, ensuring adequate blood flow and oxygenation during strenuous activities. For instance, sprinting uphill without a warm-up necessitates increased blood flow and oxygenation to the heart muscle. Conversely, warming up lowers blood pressure and enhances blood flow to the heart, potentially mitigating the risk of heart attacks.


A speaker conducted a study using a heart rate monitor during various marathons to validate this theory. He observed that maintaining a heart rate between 50 and 60 percent for the initial 20 minutes resulted in his slowest-ever first few miles, yet it led to a personal best. Additionally, he reported feeling better overall after the race.


To further demonstrate the efficacy of this theory, the speaker experimented by starting a race at 80 percent of his maximum heart rate for 20 minutes and subsequently decreasing it. However, his heart failed to recover fully, and he maintained an unusually high heart rate throughout the remainder of the race.


The underlying principle behind this approach is to gradually acclimate the heart to the demands of exercise, thereby enhancing its long-term performance and endurance. While individual experiences may vary, the speaker’s personal results suggest that this strategy can be effective. Although I was not in optimal physical condition compared to the previous year, I aimed to improve my performance at the Afton race.


In the previous year, I struggled to complete the first 10 miles of the race. This year, I initiated the race with the intention of maintaining a heart rate between 120 and 130 beats per minute for the initial 10 miles. Although my pace was slower than the previous year, I was able to sustain my movement with reduced fatigue.


This topic is intriguing, and I firmly believe in the effectiveness of using a heart rate monitor to track my heart rate during exercise.


Friday will be an all-night run at Superior. This is needed, and I look forward to it. Hope all is well in your training world.


Carry on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...