It has been some time since I last posted on the blog. The reason for this is that summer has arrived, and I have been occupied with various tasks. However, life is not always straightforward, nor is training for a 100-mile run and documenting the experience.
My last post focused on Afton’s recovery and weight loss, both of which are undoubtedly challenging endeavors. Additionally, I encountered difficulties with my knee. It is essential to recognize that personal challenges can emerge in various aspects of life, including career and relationships.
Relationships can be strained, and it is natural to wonder if they can be salvaged. This contemplation arose when a fellow blogger recently shared their thoughts on their life in 1986. She mentioned that elementary school was her formative years, while I was a year removed from university, feeling quite elderly. I had recently completed my first year of running marathons and was in a three-year relationship with a woman named Lori.
Our relationship was complex and perplexing. I was a young, diminutive 24-year-old with a cocky demeanor who often felt the need to be reprimanded. I consistently assured her that our relationship was purely for entertainment purposes, which she never fully believed. Even the band I was a member of composed a song titled “I am in Love with Your Body, Not Your Mind” that reflected our dynamics.
Lately, I’ve been thinking about you all the time
And the way things were when we first started going out
All this time, I thought I was in love with your mind
Then I realized it was only physical
(Chorus)
I’m in love with your body, not your mind
I’m in love with your body, not your mind
I should’ve figured it out a long time ago
I spent too much time trying to undress you
You’re too clever ever to let it show
And I was wondering what you were going to do
(Chorus)
I’m in love with your body, not your mind
I’m in love with your body, not your mind
Now, I’ve got a lot of different girlfriends
I take a new one out almost every night
I’ll be there if you ever want me again
But you better realize it was only physical
(Chorus)
I’m in love with your body, not your mind
I’m in love with your body, not your mind
I’m in love with your body, not your mind
I’m in love with your body, not your mind
Reflecting on the photographs from that era, I observe that long hair and perms were employed to achieve the distinctive REO Speedwagon curls. One day in May 1986, she confronted me and stated, “You are not joking; you are only with me for fun.” I responded affirmatively, and she subsequently ended the relationship. I have often regretted my actions and wondered if I should have made an effort to salvage a relationship that I had not anticipated. Ultimately, I chose to move on.
In my most recent dating experience, I encountered a similar dynamic with roles reversed. This prompts me to reflect on whether I have completed a full circle. A friend once likened relationships to a car, suggesting that they should be maintained for as long as possible, but eventually come to an end. While I may not have fully embraced this notion at the time, I can attest to his current situation, as he is now married to his second wife and has owned two cars since we became acquainted.
On a personal note, my current job has been challenging. While I genuinely enjoy my work as a city planner, there are instances when conflicting desires among several hundred individuals create a tense atmosphere that strains my physical limits and makes training arduous. Fortunately, I have been gradually increasing my weekly mileage, reaching approximately 40 miles on foot and several hundred miles on my bicycle.
This evening, I concluded a lengthy public hearing involving hundreds of individuals regarding a sensitive land use matter. Legal experts and one of the most esteemed companies I know were on opposing sides, including those of many citizens, including me. It is worth noting that there are numerous talented individuals dedicated to their respective fields. Still, they often face opposition from individuals like myself and others who hinder their ability to complete their assigned tasks.
However, the interests of people’s homes, neighborhoods, and corporate entities frequently clash. In many instances, I find myself aligning with corporate groups, while in others, I support neighboring residents. This particular project led me to side with many citizens. Despite receiving some extremely harsh communications, including accusations of incompetence, foolishness, and a lack of community service, I remained steadfast in my duties.
Fortunately, I now have three consecutive weekends free, which will allow me to dedicate myself to training with reduced stress levels. I am eager to embark on a run along the Superior Trail in either the first or second week of August. I intend to send a note on MNDRS next week to inquire about potential participants.
After careful consideration, I am inclined to depart from Minneapolis at approximately 5 AM and embark on a run from Finland to County Road #1. I anticipate encountering darkness during the run and desire to witness the sunrise. I will assess the feasibility of this plan and determine the appropriate course of action. In the meantime, I need to secure a driver for my journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment