Sunday, August 17, 2008

19 days to go

Upon waking this morning, I reviewed the status of the MN Leadville entrants on my laptop. Only Al Holtz remains in contention, but the weather conditions were characterized by precipitation, cold temperatures, and even hail, suggesting a challenging day ahead. At least all participants have commenced their preparations.


I noted that my countdown timer indicated 19 days remaining until the ST 100 finish line. As I approached the 25-day mark, I found myself repeatedly hearing the Johnny Cash song “25 Minutes to Go.” While this comparison may not be entirely accurate, it remains a memorable reference point.


This Saturday was marked by an exceptional training session. I commenced my day with a meeting with Phil at the RTA, where we engaged in several laps. Subsequently, I proceeded to grocery shopping, swam, and consumed a late lunch. Afterward, I participated in a tennis match, walked for an extended period, and returned to the RTA at 8:00 PM. After completing one and a half laps, I encountered Adam, Jimmie, and Steve Quick. We collectively ran a sub-14-minute time for the initial mile, and I maintained my pace alongside them as they were significantly faster than I. This marked essentially my 14th hour of physical activity for the day.


Having completed four laps, I did not encounter them again. I was pleased to report that I averaged a remarkable 17:06 per mile. The moon was illuminated, and the views from the RTA peaks were exceptionally impressive. In total, I ran or walked 19 miles and surpassed 50 miles during my second week. My knee experiences a slight stiffness, but the pain is absent.


Today’s extended bike ride and walk left me feeling physically fatigued. Despite having recovered from the demanding week of last Friday, this day surpassed my expectations. With only one more week of taper and repair remaining, I am well-prepared for the race.


On Thursday evening, I will proceed to Hyland for my final intense workout before the taper period. While some individuals consider a two-week taper to be excessive, I maintained a rigorous training regimen for three weeks and am eager to be fully recovered 19 days from now.


Carry on…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...