Saturday, August 9, 2008

Overnight run - lost and found

So, Larry Rode couldn’t make it for our overnight trip, so Steve Quick and I hopped on with the seasoned driver, Shelley. We set off for the Superior Hiking Trail at 5:30 PM on Friday. Our driver was doing an excellent job keeping us moving, but then Helen Lavin zoomed by our speeding car just before Two Harbors. Even in the car, she’s a speed demon!


As the fun part of the trip was coming to an end, Steve and I began to take our overnight run seriously. I took off one of my shoes to rub my feet, and guess what? The smell was awful! I was shocked, but it was a good thing because we wouldn’t get tired. It was like having smelling salt in the car. Were they so happy when I put the shoes back on?


We drove to Crosby and Finland to drop off our supplies. Our expert support crew would sleep in the car and meet us at Sugarloaf. There, we’d refuel and continue on County Road 1. This would give us two goals: 35 miles and tackle what I think is the toughest section of the trail, Crosby Manitou to Sugarloaf.


We started our ride around the hills at 42 miles (City Road 6) at around 10:00 PM. I had told Steve about the guy who got DQ because of a mistake in that segment, and he missed the aid station. I reminded him that we had a left turn to get to the Finland Recreation Center, so he trusted me. We kept a close eye on the left side of the trail to make sure we took that turn.


As we approached the final mile of the first stage of our 7.5-mile run, we found ourselves on a trail that was once used for snowmobiles. Suddenly, the grass grew taller, and light rain had moistened the ground; our feet became wet. We both suspected that we had missed a turn, but I was certain that it was on the left, so we continued.


As we walked, we stumbled upon the backyard of a house and illuminated the area with our flashlights. We were uncertain about our course, but I persuaded the cautious Steve to keep going.


Upon reaching the trail, we discovered that it had been thoroughly washed out. We had to make a four-foot leap in the night to continue our journey. After registering 10 miles on our Garmin devices, I admitted my mistake. Steve was understanding about it.


As we approached a road, we decided to run on the pavement. Steve noticed the sign we had seen six miles earlier: Finland Aid Station, which was approximately 3.2 miles away. To our astonishment, we had just run in a six-mile circle. This revelation prompted caution, and we eventually found the correct path 13.5 miles later. While I acknowledge my initial error, I am pleased with the progress we made.


Fortunately, we left this incident behind and proceeded with our journey. I have no recollection of when or where Steve encountered difficulties, but he is welcome to share his story. It was now 2:00 AM, and we had spent over 90 minutes on the trail. Regrettably, the remainder of our run until sunrise was filled with noise and uncertainty about our direction. We inadvertently missed the Sonju Lake Road Aid station and ended up at Crosby at sunrise.


Steve had received numerous reports from others that this section was the most challenging, making all others appear relatively straightforward. While the downhill sections were indeed demanding, Steve possessed an exceptional ability to excel on the uphill. His preparation and fearlessness made the entire run appear effortless to me.


Despite my struggles, Steve maintained a calm demeanor, while I resorted to crawling at specific points. Our interactions were characterized by mutual frustration and attempts to outmaneuver each other. I attempted to keep him within my sight while navigating the uphill sections, while he focused on scanning the downhill terrain for potential hazards, such as freight trains.


Throughout the run, we were both plagued by persistent horse flies, resembling hornets, that circled our heads. We responded by swatting them away, with me estimating that I eliminated approximately 20 flies, while Steve likely encountered a significantly higher number.


After approximately 12 hours of running, we arrived at Sugarloaf, but instead of continuing to County Road #1, we decided to stop. The distance was 35 miles due to an unfortunate experience where Steve became lost in the Londell area.


Overall, the run was a solid and rewarding experience. It served as an invaluable preparation for the race, and I would not hesitate to participate again if Steve had not accepted my invitation. While the nocturnal presence of owls, wolves, and other wildlife, coupled with navigation challenges, made the night particularly arduous, I would undoubtedly undertake it once more. Familiarity with this trail will certainly enhance my chances of success in future endeavors.


Until next time, Carry On!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...