Sunday, July 6, 2025

Let the chaos begin!

 This marks the beginning of the Peterson clan's annual larger gathering at Grandview Lodge. Only once a year, since Allison moved to Nashville, Tennessee, and Leslie to Fayetteville, Arkansas, does the entire family come together. It was a tradition Shelley started in 2019 and missed one year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2019, there were three children. Now, that number has grown to seven grandchildren aged two to ten.

Leslie’s family drove from Fayetteville, leaving at 7:34 AM and arriving at our house at 6:10 PM. Arriving right when we were headed to the airport to pick up Allison’s family. They flew in from Nashville, which is a three-hour longer drive, and with four young children, it makes the drive nearly impossible.

Shelley needed two cars to transport everyone from the airport to pick up 5 of the 6. Eric would rent a car once we retrieved the others. Alison, Maeve, and Jack would ride with Shelley, and I would take Vera and Faye. With the luggage, the cars were FULL!

In preparation for the week-long trip and the arrival, I kept busy with activities. Since it had poured rain all night, I needed to mow the lawn before we left. I decided to mow it while it was still slightly damp at 11:00 AM. I’m glad I did, as it rained again at 1:00 PM. At noon, I seasoned four racks of ribs, and Shelley made her famous Corn Salad. I smoked the ribs at 210 degrees for 90 minutes, wrapped them, and let them rest for 45 minutes before placing them on the grill for an additional 90 minutes at 225 degrees. I also went to the store to grab hot dogs. I wanted to get tater tots, but Shelley was firm that I couldn't use the stove, so I grabbed microwaveable mac and cheese! At least I have one favorite side dish.

While I was packing, I realized my zipper on the camera pack had broken. BUMMER. So, I went to Best Buy to spend $180 on a new pack. Hope this is the last one I will ever need. I made sure it's just large enough for some future expansion.  

Once everyone was back at the house for dinner, it wasn't quiet. The seven grandchildren were eager to relax after the long commute and the nerves of being together. Shelley is in heaven! She loved that her whole family was at her table at once! A rare occasion, since Leslie wouldn't usually stop by the day before heading to Granview Lodge.  

 

After dinner, Shelley, Leslie, and Allison took the children to the park, leaving the three men and little Jack at the house. (Yes, the men are outnumbered in this group with six men and seven women!) I cleaned the kitchen and dining area while they were away and got everything ready for movie night when they returned.  

By 8:30 PM, Jack was ready for bed, and Leslie, TG, and Leighton headed to the hotel. Allison and Eric called it a night as Shelley and the five older grandkids relaxed and watched Inside Out. Vera, Faye, and Maeve had to go to bed halfway through, but since Deacon and Sawyer were sleeping downstairs, they relaxed on the floor and finished the movie. (First time for them to see a futon!) The film ended at 10:25, and both boys were out cold within five minutes. 

Now it's time to try to sleep before the circus starts early tomorrow morning. It's common for the kids to get up before 7:00 AM. Let's see what happens since they stayed up late!

Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...