Monday, July 7, 2025

HARD DAY

I woke up bright and early at 5:30 a.m. because I was trying to sneak in some shut-eye downstairs to keep Sawyer and Deacon from waking up. Unfortunately, I got less than three hours of sleep! I used that precious early morning time to pack and get ready for the day. We had to be out the door by 10:30 a.m., and everyone was aware of it. I whipped up breakfast, which included omelets, scrambled eggs, over-easy eggs, and hash browns.

We packed everything super carefully, and while we were doing that, the police popped by to see if we had any Ring Camera footage of cars on the street between 1:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. We didn’t have any because my camera only records when someone enters the yard. I later found out it was because of the following:

The Apple Valley Police Department has launched an investigation after a man was found dead early Sunday morning near the intersection of Pennock Avenue and 138th Street West.

According to a press release from the Apple Valley Police Department, officers were dispatched to the area at approximately 3:12 a.m. for a welfare check on a person reported to be lying on the sidewalk. Upon arrival, officers found an adult male with a chest injury and “covered in blood.” Officers tried lifesaving measures at the scene, but the man was declared dead. His identity has not yet been released, pending notification of next of kin. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office will release his name and cause of death later.

Authorities are requesting residents in the area, especially those with outdoor surveillance systems, to review any footage recorded between 2:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. on Sunday, July 6, 2025. 

At 9:00 a.m., I suggested leaving at 9:45 a.m. to take the kids to the park, reminding everyone that we needed to leave by 10:30 a.m. to attend the town ball game I wanted to see. However, that was ignored. By 10:30 a.m., they all said, “We are ready for the park!" I was upset. I had planned to leave by 10:30 for days and had told everyone. Yet, as usual, that did not matter. We went to the park, and by 11:15 a.m., we were on our way to the Park Diner in Waite Park, MN, for lunch before the game. Fortunately, I had movies on the iPad, so Deacon, Vera, and Faye were occupied at the diner, and the kids’ restlessness was not an issue.

We arrived at the diner, where I had intended to have a one-hour lunch. Being 45 minutes late, I urged everyone to speed up, and we completed our meal in 30 minutes. This allowed us to be at the ballpark by 2:00 p.m., although the game was scheduled to start at 1:30 p.m.
 


We switched kids, and I ended up with Deacon, Vera, and Maeve. That was a mistake because Maeve incessantly asked every two minutes if we were there yet. I warned them that if anyone asked again, there would be no treats. I thought that would deter her, but she then asked, “How far is the game?” I refused to answer. She kept repeating “Londell” a total of 168 times until I finally yelled for her to stop. Even Deacon and Vera were annoyed by her behavior.

We arrived at the Fort Ripley Rebels ballpark at 2:00 PM to watch their game against the Buckman Billygoats. To adhere to our schedule, we had planned to depart by 2:45 PM. However, the children were thoroughly enjoying themselves and expressed a desire to extend their stay. At 3:00 PM, we told them it was time to leave and go for a watermelon snack for the trip. While eating the watermelon, they saw the playgrounds and ran off, despite us telling them to stay.


At 3:15 PM, thirty minutes past the scheduled departure time, I announced we were leaving. Maeve and Deacon were in the car, but Vera wasn’t. I left Vera with Shelley, who later called to say she needed to take her to the bathroom. I’m unsure why Shelley didn’t leave when I mentioned I’d go myself. I trusted Shelley to handle Vera.

We got to Costco at 3:05 PM, which was 35 minutes late. What was supposed to be a quick and easy trip turned into a whirlwind of chaos! The five kids each wanted their own cart and started running off in every direction. We tried to tell them no and not to run, but they didn’t listen and ran wild! It was a total time-waster, and I was super stressed about keeping the schedule on track.

To make things easier, I reached out to everyone and asked them to meet at the cabin around 4:45 PM. That way, I could unload, leave the kids with them while Shelley checked in, and try to wrap up my shopping and grab the pizza. Shelley was super clear that the kids needed to eat before 6:00 PM. I was all set to head out at 4:45 PM. Shelley arrived at 4:50 PM from check-in, and I quickly placed the perishable items in the fridge and freezer before heading out at 5:00 PM. Shelley kept reminding me to be back by 6:00 PM again.

The idea was Costco Pizza, which is only pepperoni and cheese. So I messaged if they wanted two pepperoni and one cheese, or two cheese and one pepperoni. Leslie replied, “Meatza pizza is good, veggie usually is last to go!” I reminded them that Costco only has the two types. I wonder if they even read what I sent!  

I decided to try to appease all by ordering Domino’s pizza, so they could have the variety they wanted. So, I called over ten times to see what they wanted, but no one answered. Shelley finally called me back and said she would call me back with the order. I asked her to text it to me. After five minutes, I called her again (I called seven times before she answered) and asked what they wanted. She wasn’t sure, but she told me when I asked her to text.

So here I am, standing at the Domino's order line, a few people behind me, with Shelley on the phone, not telling me what to order. After about 90 seconds, she finally starts telling me what to get. But that’s one pizza every 30 seconds. The order taker and the people behind me are watching me like I’m an idiot.

I hurried through the store, trying to get back by 6:00 PM, which I had been told many times was important. I contacted them at 5:55 PM to let them know I was on my way. Shelley said they are at the waterpark, and she will put them in the oven until they get back. I arrived back and realized I forgot the Tide pods I needed for laundry. So back in the car I went; I feel like such a sherpa on this trip! 

When I returned at 7:05 PM, the group was starting to eat pizza. I asked if Taylor could come out and use his fishing lure to get the toy off the roof. After breaking two lines and losing lures on the roof, we tried a life jacket on a rope. That failed. Finally, Leslie saw the maintenance man, used the ladder and a broom to retrieve both lures and the toy.


The rest of them proceeded to have a fire, s'mores, and play outside. I decided to write this blog post and call it a night. I hope tomorrow isn't as bad as today. I have never felt so disrespected for what I want to do, and then when I achieve the stated goals, they change their minds (eating at 6:00 PM). 

I would rather go home than have five more days of this type of activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...