Sunday, March 29, 2009

Yippe I A, Cow Pattie

Yippee-I-Aye, Cow Patty

Yippee-I-Aye, Cow Patty

She rode into town to find the man who killed her daddy

Yippee-I-Aye, Cow Patty


Today, during the final mile of a 25+ mile week (26.1), I hummed a Jim Stafford song and felt a sense of accomplishment. It was the first time I had expressed or thought those words since 2007. While this may seem insignificant to runners who complete 100-mile weeks, it holds great significance for me given my lack of motivation since last October.


I frequently use the song’s lyrics when experiencing elation. Some individuals may find it puzzling, but this song was released in 1980 by Jim Stafford. During my high school graduation, a peculiar individual (not Steve Martin or myself) suggested it as our graduation theme song. I attended a unique school, and I believe that the majority of the students have remained largely unchanged, despite the passage of time. If you wish to witness Jim Stafford perform this remarkable song. The song is about a cowgirl who rides a moped and avenges her father's killing.  The ending is:


The killer took a step towards Patti

Said it's time I gunned you down

But he slipped in something that was layin' in the street

And was shot before he hit the ground

Yes, the killer slipped and it cost him his life

And Patti said as she roared out of town

You gotta watch your step

When you know the chips are down



Despite the recent floods, I remain optimistic. While the runs are now easier and less strenuous, the weight remains the same. I have decided to focus on maintaining my running routine and enjoying the outdoors. One of my favorite Minnesota River trails was unfortunately submerged this weekend. I hope this situation is temporary.


I have been reflecting on my hometown of Fargo lately. I recently contacted my parents, and I am relieved to learn that the farm will survive the flood. I recall some of the severe floods I experienced as a youth, when our basement would flood to the brim, even though we were only eight miles west of the Red River. The flatness of the landscape back home is quite striking. I used to run overpasses as a form of hill training.


I eagerly anticipate the final snowfall of the week. While I must maintain a positive outlook, I would prefer not to have to endure the inconvenience of inclement weather. If the weather continues to deteriorate, my mileage for next week will likely be 29 miles. However, I am content to continue running and enjoying the outdoors, regardless of the circumstances.


Carry on my friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...