Getting caught up is always a challenge. Writing in the blog is one of the things I need to catch up on. We all face busy lives, economic strains, relationship pressures, and weather changes that can bring us down. However, we have exercising, March Madness, great friends (both old and new), looking forward to the warmer weather, and seeing things optimistically to lift us.
The last post expressed excitement about a manageable and enjoyable 20-mile week. Last week, I had a 21.3-mile week, and I thoroughly enjoyed my runs. This week started great with the weather. I ran 4.1 miles at lunch and walked 2.1 miles after work on Monday. Yesterday, I cycled to and from work, ran 4 miles at lunch, and walked 2 miles again after work. I feel so tired; I struggled to complete the 5K during my lunch break. We can only expect great runs sometimes. The first mile was filled with thoughts of giving up, but then I got into a groove and still struggled.
I’ve had almost a week to reflect on the movie Beyond the Epic Run. Seeing the ultra-runners there was great, and I’m glad I went. I’ll watch it again because it left me with some thoughts that may have been covered in the movie, but I may have missed them. I might even buy the diary. At the movie’s end, we were asked to summarize it in three words. That was hard for me because I saw the film as a phenomenal production that took me through a range of human emotions that I thought I could only experience in one sitting. I used the words “depressing, humbling, and motivating.”
To me, it was a captivating collection of stories! It was a powerful narrative about love, spanning the love between Serge and Nicole, the passion for running, the love for challenges, and the love for humanity as a whole. It served as a profound eye-opener, revealing the diverse range of world conditions that often go unnoticed in the pursuit of television promotions to “feed the children.” It was a tragic tale, as I witnessed the transformation of two young, vibrant individuals into worn-out souls. It was a life experience story, showcasing the complexities of human support and the unexpected shifts in people’s minds. Amidst all these stories, it was a beacon of hope, as the characters remained positive and resilient in the face of adversity (at least, the movie portrayed them that way).
I received an email informing me that Afton registration is now open. As I’ve mentioned before, Grandma’s is the only race I plan to participate in this year. I have a few weeks of enjoyable running under my belt, but I’ve decided to refrain from entering any other races. However, the race fills up quickly, so I’ve decided to join the 50K and consider it a donation to the race. That way, if Grandma’s goes well and I find joy in running, I’ll be able to participate. But again, I’m 95% certain that I won’t be running it… just in case, I’ll secure my spot!
I’m eagerly looking forward to volunteering at Chippewa this year. I recently received some information about my assignment, and it appears to be an enjoyable experience. For the next three weeks, I’ll only officiate an occasional tennis match. I’ll work less than 4-5 hours daily this weekend and only have one assignment for the next two weeks! This will give me a chance to get some weekend workouts in, which I’m looking forward to.
Maybe I'll see some of you out there… if you run slow enough for me to keep up?
Carry on my friends, carry on!
No comments:
Post a Comment