In a past post, I mentioned wearing a heart rate monitor during runs. Life stresses can affect heart rate, leading to heart attacks and other issues as we age. As our internal organs struggle to keep up with our demands, they may become overwhelmed and fail.
Last weekend was tough. I worked over 75 hours, most of which were stressful. Despite the excitement, I ran and enjoyed five runs totaling 20 miles this year for the first time. My average weekly miles were 3, 13.6, 15.9, 0, 15, 17.8, 4.9, 0, 14.4, and 20.2 miles.
Last weekend was limited sleep, increased workouts, and a weekend from hell. At lunch, I put on my heart rate monitor and ran a 4-mile pace. Less than 3 minutes in, my heart rate was 158 BPM, over a 10-minute mile. I stopped, and it dropped to 130. I started again, and it rose to the high 150s. I stopped again, and it fell quickly. I checked my pulse, and it was within the monitor’s range. I felt like I wasn’t even working out. My muscles felt fine, but my heart wasn’t normal.
So, I went for another run, determined to keep my heart rate at or below 145 beats per minute. To achieve this, I slowed down to a 12-minute mile. Last week, I started the week with a sub-10-minute mile and an average HR of 136 BPM. So, why did my heart rate increase? The stress at work and the highly demanding 30-hour weekend officiating tennis took a toll on my internal organs. My heart needed to recover.
Many dismiss my theory as crazy, but this isn’t the first time my heart rate monitor has raised concerns. During the Afton 50 K in 2007, at around 20 miles, my HR surged to 170 BPM, and I had to walk. I applied ice and cooled myself down, then continued walking. Gradually, my HR dropped to the 120s, and I was able to run the remaining 7 miles. I initially thought my heart was stressed due to the increased body temperature from the heat.
I never run without an HR monitor, and some may perceive me as overly reliant on electronic devices. However, using an HR monitor is an effective way to monitor potential issues during high-stress situations. When people ask why I have this belief, my response is simple: “I want to live!”
Carry on my friends, carry on!
Makes more sense to "run" with that theory and slow down your pace than to risk injury or some other serious consequence.
No comments:
Post a Comment