Friday, April 3, 2009

Vitamin D

In response to a request from my fellow runner, Adam, to share my personal experience with Vitamin D supplementation, I have decided to do so publicly.


In the autumn of 2007, I significantly extended my endurance beyond my anticipated limits. I participated in the Superior Trail 100-mile race, which I had intended to complete. However, I was forced to abandon the race at the 77-mile mark. Subsequently, I experienced persistent physical and mental fatigue.


Despite taking time off, maintaining a balanced diet, and adhering to my training regimen, I continued to feel fatigued and had frequent bone pain. Additionally, I encountered significant sleep disturbances. In an attempt to address these issues, I experimented with various strategies, including reducing my running intensity and increasing my biking and walking activities. I also incorporated massages into my routine and utilized a computer program to monitor my dietary intake. Despite these efforts, my symptoms persisted.


In February 2008, I traveled to Kansas City to participate in the Psycho Wyco 50K. Before the race, I experienced chest tightness and a cold. Despite these challenges, I decided to race and was forced to withdraw at the 20-mile mark.


In addition to the symptoms above, I now experience persistent aches and pains, sleep deprivation, and overall fatigue. Furthermore, I have a persistent chest issue that I have been unable to resolve. Despite my persistent attempts to run, I experienced a knee fall in March, resulting in injury and severe lung strain during my runs. To summarize, I underwent steroid injections for my knee and a steroid inhaler for my lungs. Subsequently, I discovered that steroids significantly hinder Vitamin D absorption.


As summer arrived, I began to feel better and entertained the possibility of attempting the Superior 100 again. I had completed Grandma’s 100-mile run in 2007, albeit with a notable time deficit of over an hour. Additionally, I had finished Afton at approximately the same time. Consequently, I believed I could make the attempt. However, my weight had increased by 40 pounds due to prolonged fatigue, and I prioritized nutrition to improve my condition.


My second attempt at the Superior 100 resulted in fatigue and bone pain by the 30-mile mark, prompting me to drop out of the race.


The desire to engage in running, cycling, and walking vanished, replaced by depression. I had lost the enjoyment in numerous activities. Over a year had passed, and my situation remained unchanged. Consequently, I made the decision to completely cease my physical training regimen, focusing solely on mental, physical, and spiritual restoration.


For six weeks, I dedicated myself exclusively to work and relaxation. I meticulously recorded my dietary intake and ensured the nutritional balance of my meals. Despite these efforts, I did not experience any discernible changes in my well-being. While I did lose two pounds, I continued to feel sore, experience sleep disturbances, and experience profound exhaustion.


As a man who had reached the brink of exhaustion before seeking assistance, I finally contacted a doctor and scheduled an appointment in November. During the examination, the doctor conducted a blood test and reported normal results except for an elevated glucose level of 104 mg/dL and a deficient Vitamin D level of 11 ng/mL. The recommended Vitamin D range is between 30 ng/mL and 50 ng/mL. Consequently, the doctor prescribed Vitamin D therapy, involving the weekly administration of 50,000 units for a period of 12 weeks. If you are following my approach, the recommended dosage of 50,000 units is appropriate.


After four weeks of taking calcium pills with Vitamin D, I felt better, waking up feeling 60 instead of 100. I started working out, but in the second week of December, I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen and groin that radiated to my back. The doctor suspected a sports hernia, but I was disappointed since working out didn’t make me feel worse. However, the pain moved, so I took more time off.


I researched online and found that high doses of Vitamin D and calcium can cause kidney stones. So, I stopped taking calcium. In January, after 8 weeks of taking 50,000 Units of Vitamin D, I noticed I could sleep for 5-6 hours without drugs.  Here is a great web page about Vitamin D.


Since I was planning a trip to Germany to visit my son, I decided to do light workouts upon my return. On February 20, I returned from Germany and had my blood tested. My Vitamin D count was 43 ng/ml.


After an extended period of discomfort, I experienced a significant improvement in my well-being. My physical condition has been restored, with no bone pain and improved sleep patterns, averaging six to eight hours per night. This transformation has enabled me to resume running.


After a hiatus of several years and a substantial weight gain of 45 pounds since the summer of 2007, I opted for a gradual approach to my fitness regimen. Initially, I commenced with a 15-mile run, incorporating two to four miles of running and gradually increasing my weekly mileage by approximately 5-10%.


Since February 20, 2009, my weekly running distances have consistently ranged from 14.4 miles to 26.1 miles. Additionally, I have incorporated cycling and walking into my daily routine, which contributes to my overall relaxation and well-being. My breathing remains optimal, and I derive immense pleasure from running and other activities.


While Vitamin D undoubtedly played a pivotal role in my recovery, it is essential to acknowledge that I made every effort to address the underlying issues independently. Although my dietary plan appeared to be in order according to my computer analysis, it failed to recognize my initial Vitamin D deficiency.


As a result, I am now experiencing a renewed sense of vitality and have resumed running. However, I have no aspirations to participate in challenging races such as the Superior 100. My primary objective is to simply enjoy the outdoors, savor the runs, and make decisions as I progress. Of course, I cannot overlook the significance of completing Grandma’s 25th consecutive year.


Carry on my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...