Saturday, May 7, 2016

Jordan bikes to Arizona - Day 3

TODAY WAS HARD ON JORDAN!

Today’s weather conditions were unpredictable, causing a range of emotions. Despite low expectations after yesterday’s variable weather, I awoke at 5:30 AM and began packing for our extended journey. By 8:15 AM, Jordan was awake, and we prepared breakfast while finalizing our packing. Packing was paramount today, as we would not return until after our ride.


We departed Golden just before 9:45 AM, heading to Copper Mountain, Colorado. It was there that Jordan wisely abandoned the ride yesterday due to adverse weather conditions, including thunder, lightning, sleet, hail, and ultimately, snow. We had hoped to cover an additional 20 miles that day.


Today, we anticipate weather challenges. Besides the low temperatures, thick fog accompanied by occasional sleet made travel by automobile, let alone by bicycle, arduous. I had never encountered these two elements simultaneously.


Upon arriving at Copper Mountain, Jordan prepared for the ride. However, the heavy winds and near-freezing temperatures raised doubts. At approximately 11:00 AM, he mounted his bicycle and discovered that the sleet was pelting him with such force that it was painful. The prospect of venturing out was abandoned, particularly as we realized that the trail he was scheduled to ride was covered in snow. We later learned that the path near the ski resorts was not plowed, as it provided an excellent opportunity for cross-country skiing. Consequently, we loaded our belongings into the car and drove five miles up I-70, where the trail was cleared and the weather was more tolerable. It is astonishing how rapidly mountain weather can change within a few miles.


Jordan commenced his day on the Ten Mile Canyon National Regional Trail, located just off exit 180 on I-70. The wind was approximately 15 MPH, and it was a headwind. The trail offered a pleasant, easy, and slightly downhill ride (approximately a 1,000-foot drop over 17 miles) to Vail. I intended to take Interstate 70 and planned to arrive in Vail before Jordan.


Upon arrival, I was unable to locate him. Upon reaching him via phone, he informed me that he was averaging 17 MPH and had already departed the trail. Regrettably, I missed him and had to catch up.


We encountered each other approximately west of Vail, where the rain began to fall. The freezing rain, accompanied by strong driving winds, severely impaired visibility, and the cold penetrated deeply into our bones. Despite my hopes that he would cease his journey, he persisted in riding.


The rain subsided just before noon when he arrived in Edwards, Colorado. Edwards is a small town situated along Interstate 70 and adjacent to Beaver Creek Resort. Jordan informed me that he was required to perform some work on a Saturday, making it an ideal location for lunch. We were in proximity to a Starbucks, so we engaged in a quick process of elimination, ultimately selecting it as our lunch spot due to the availability of Wi-Fi.


Jordan worked for over an hour, while I diligently monitored the weather conditions. When it became apparent that we would experience a brief period of favorable weather, we mutually decided it was time to resume our journey. However, our prediction proved to be incorrect; his luck waned within 20 minutes of departure. Shortly thereafter, a dark sky descended, unleashing another torrential downpour of cold and hard rain upon Jordan. 


Concerned for his safety, I was relieved when he admitted that seeing out of glasses was challenging. The rain pelted him for over an hour until we reached Eagle, Colorado. I promptly pulled over the side of the road so he could rest and change into dry socks as the rain subsided. The anxiety and fear I experienced over the past hour regarding his safety led to a moment of forgetfulness. When I pulled over, I did not realize I had parked to block an access road, resulting in a meeting with the local police.


I sincerely apologized for my oversight. He was gracious enough to provide us with an overview of our route for the next few hours. He also informed us that there were approximately 30 minutes before the rain would resume. He was correct! Fortunately, there were numerous trails for the next 25 miles, which made the rain riding significantly safer. The rain persisted until we reached the Glenwood Canyon Bike Trail. This was one of the most remarkable trails I have ever seen, spanning approximately 16 miles as it traversed through the Glenwood Canyon (video below).



As the Glenwood Canyon trail was separated from the Highway, I was limited to driving on I-70 to Glenwood Springs to meet him. We anticipated that the weather would worsen before improving, so I was concerned about whether he would reach Glenwood Springs before another storm.


His timing was impeccable as he arrived in Glenwood Springs and loaded the bike onto the car when it began to rain. As before, a cold, relentless rain. We drove approximately two miles through town to the Rio Grande Trail’s starting point. The Rio Grande Trail leads to Aspen, Colorado, but we intended to stop at Carbondale and head west. We found a Wendy’s for dinner and rested for about an hour as the storm passed. I could discern that he was fatigued after enduring three significant climbs in two days!


The impact of the wind can be seen on his jacket

A scenic trail extends from Glenwood Springs to the southwestern outskirts of Carbondale, Colorado. Although it initially appeared flat, a 1,500-foot ascent occurred over the subsequent 25 miles. The prevailing headwind reached speeds of 10 to 15 mph. The trail continued beyond Carbondale into another mountain pass, ultimately leading to Redstone, Colorado. The total distance covered was approximately 92 miles, with an elevation gain exceeding 6,000 feet. Exhausted and the sun setting, we realized the necessity of securing our vehicle for an overnight stay.


Throughout the entire journey, I have experienced heightened anxiety regarding the prospect of sleeping remotely, losing keys, causing a car accident, or encountering any other unforeseen challenges. While we had established a suitable daily sleeping location, I found myself uncomfortable. Consequently, we drove a few miles up and down Highway 133 near Redstone, but nothing seemed more satisfactory than our starting point. Simultaneously, I discovered that I had misplaced the additional set of bicycle hitch and lock keys. I diligently searched the surrounding area for an hour and meticulously reviewed my whereabouts for the past hour, yet I remained unable to locate a solution. We wasted another hour, and I felt profoundly distressed. It was not until approximately 11:00 PM that we were finally able to settle down and sleep.


Segment 1 - 11:43 AM start



Segment 2 - 1:55 PM start

Segment 3 - 7:16 PM start


OVERALL SUMMARY (Day/Overall)

  • Miles - 91.27  /  175.06
  • Elevation  - 6,140 feet / 17,707 feet
  • Riding Time (H:M:S) - 5:50:24 / 12:18:58

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...