.jpg)
I awoke at 6:00 AM and prepared for the day ahead. I proceeded to Natural Grocers to procure a few essential supplies. Jordan remained asleep until 8:30 AM and commenced his work while I prepared a quick breakfast for him. Although he was required to work today, we desired to traverse Loveland Pass (also designated as a Dangerous Road) due to the unfavorable weather forecast for Saturday. Consequently, we would maximize his productivity today. He intended to work as much as possible between rides and subsequently drive back to Golden, where he would engage in extensive nighttime work.
Upon our arrival at Dumont, Colorado, where he had concluded his shift the previous evening, the day appeared favorable, albeit with the inherent unpredictability of mountain weather.
The initial few miles presented a less picturesque landscape, and we encountered our first challenge. His Garmin Varia Rearview Radar detached from his bicycle. He expressed dissatisfaction with me for removing it and cleaning the bike, attributing the incident to a perceived improper mounting of the bike. Fortunately, no damage occurred, and we were able to reattach it. His leg inadvertently struck it, causing it to detach as I lowered the post. Thus, both of us bear responsibility for the occurrence.
He continued his ride at a leisurely pace, which is prudent given the extended duration of the journey. I had driven ahead to identify potential photographic opportunities. Out of the corner of my vision, I observed one of the most vibrant bluebirds I have ever encountered. I promptly retrieved my camera and captured the image. I was fortunate enough to capture several before it took flight. Please refer to the accompanying photograph for a visual representation.

Jordan continued riding on the road until we reached the quaint town of Georgetown, Colorado. This is where he would take the Georgetown to Silver Plume trail. Georgetown has a large trailhead, as that is where the Georgetown Loop Scenic Railroad is located. It was only five miles, but it provided a welcome respite from the narrow road traffic.
As the time approached when Jordan needed to take a conference call and near the start of another trail, we took a break at I-70 Exit 221, despite the trail being partially covered in snow. We waited just over an hour as Jordan completed his conference call.
We agreed that he would take the trail, although I would remain in case it was not passable. Less than five minutes later, I received a text message indicating that the trail was not passable, as depicted in the photograph to the right.
Our only option was to load up the bike and drive around this five-mile snow-covered trail. We drove to I-70 Exit 216, which is the base of the Loveland Pass Road. He desired to traverse this climb today, as the weather conditions were favorable. The ascent would be approximately five miles to the 11,990-foot peak. The most challenging part would be riding the 2,500-foot descent over the next seven miles.
|
| ||||
|
|
At the summit, Jordan wisely dressed slightly warmer, anticipating the decreasing wind chill and the potential for cold temperatures due to minimal pedaling. The descent was approximately seven miles long. He maintained an average speed exceeding 30 MPH throughout the majority of the descent, with an average speed of 34.3 MPH per mile. (Refer to the image on the right for visual confirmation.)
At the base of Loveland Pass, a scenic trail wound its way around Dillon Reservoir. Given the poor phone service, we had high hopes of meeting at the designated location. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate him, and when we finally connected, he was heading down Colorado Highway 9 to Breckenridge, Colorado, along the Blue River Bikeway. It was there that we realized this was not the optimal route, as it was heading south.
He was able to ride approximately 7.5 miles on the partially covered path. However, near Copper Mountain, the situation changed abruptly. He was forced to carry his bike through the snow, and it was raining. A cold rain accompanied by strong winds, of course, directly into his face! When I finally regained phone service, he expressed anger that I was calling while he was carrying his bike through 8-12 inches of snow. The weather was rapidly deteriorating, and the rain transformed into sleet. Despite these challenges, we still had no sign of Jordan.
Just before the weather reached an unimaginable level of driving snow, I encountered him, and he was carrying his bike. We securely loaded the bike onto the rack and returned to Golden. While the day was less productive than anticipated, the forecast for tomorrow on Loveland Pass Road predicted a snowstorm, so there was some success.
- Miles - 52.16 / 83.79
- Elevation - 6,261 feet / 11,567 feet
- Riding Time (H:M:S) - 4:09:39 / 6:28:34
Upon our return to Golden, we arrived just before 7:00 PM, both feeling frustrated and hungry. We went to King Supers to get dinner and some items for the trip. Jordan had to finish some work before leaving, which would be completed by tomorrow's ride. We were both ready to call it a night at 11:00 PM.
In this particular instance, he has chosen to collaborate with the Shriners Hospital for Children on this ride. The Shriners have been instrumental in his recovery following the accident, providing invaluable support to numerous children at no charge. If you wish to contribute to a noble cause that has had a profound impact on Jordan’s life, I encourage you to consider making a donation.

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)










No comments:
Post a Comment