Thursday, May 12, 2016

Jordan bikes to Arizona - Day 8

I woke at 4:30 AM, relieved we weren’t evicted from the hotel parking lot. However, the cold temperature woke me. Weather.com reported 33 degrees (feels like 27), and I was exhausted. I adjusted the blanket and tried to sleep, but woke again at 6:00 AM, feeling even colder. I went to Ruby’s Convention Center lobby to warm up. It was nice to have a warm bathroom available when sleeping in a car. I had no internet access, so I read work material.


I returned to the car at 7:00 AM, warmed it up, and moved it so Jordan could sleep in direct sunlight. Then, I returned to Ruby’s and stayed warm in the lobby. When I checked on Jordan at 8:15 AM, he was still sleeping, so I went for a walk. Bryce Canyon is a lovely, small town!


At 9:00 AM, he texted me, indicating that he was awake and eager to depart. I proceeded to the car and commenced preparations for the day, while he retrieved his morning coffee. The day’s itinerary was uncertain or pre-planned, with the sole certainty being our destination: Bryce Canyon to Boulder, Utah, a distance of approximately 75 miles. However, the specifics of the elevation changes were yet to be verified.


The sign looking back 

Finished the brutal climb


The initial 15 miles were straightforward. However, the terrain became increasingly challenging as the rolling hills commenced. The first eight percent climbs spanned approximately 1.5 to 2 miles, and these climbs progressively intensified, with some reaching up to 14 percent and extending for as long as five miles. The combination of these steep inclines and the relentless sun, which reached nearly 90 degrees, made the ride exceptionally arduous. Despite the difficulties, the road conditions were favorable for cycling, despite the presence of formidable hills. I estimate that he has ascended approximately 10,000 feet today. It would be prudent to verify this information using the Garmin device upon our return home.


By 4:30 PM, Jordan had arrived in Boulder, Utah. We are currently dining at Burr Trail Grill, a restaurant that specializes in grass-fed meats. Jordan ordered a lamb burger, while I opted for a beef burger. I was surprised by the restaurant’s high level of activity despite its remote location.


Jordan was in a good mood and eager to continue our journey. However, I was experiencing fatigue and desired to rest at a hotel after two days of driving. At approximately 6:30 PM, Jordan descended a hill at a speed of 30 MPH and narrowly avoided colliding with a deer. The pickup truck that was in proximity to Jordan was not as fortunate. I was deeply concerned about his reckless driving behavior at dusk, particularly when he encountered numerous deer. I was exhausted and longed for a refreshing swim in a cold pool and a shower. Despite my concerns, Jordan persisted in his journey. We engaged in a heated argument that rivaled any conflict between two individuals. It was as if I held a position of authority, while he held a position of opposition. In the end, Jordan continued his journey, covering an additional 30 miles (or more). I estimate that his average daily distance exceeded 110 miles. He traversed the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, and Canyonlands National Park.


Following the argument, he proceeded on his bicycle until 8:00 PM. Subsequently, we drove to Green River, where I made a reservation for the evening. The dining options were limited, including Burger King, Arby’s, and other chain restaurants, as well as the local truck stop. We opted for the local truck stop. We enjoyed breakfast, which consisted of two eggs, hash browns, toast, and Jordan's Western Omelet. Both of us were thoroughly exhausted. We barely returned to the hotel, showered, and retired to bed by 11:30 PM.


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...