Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Can gratitude calm my nerves and make me more effective?

“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues but the parent of all others.” ~Cicero

I’ve been told that expressing gratitude or practicing gratitude can have numerous benefits, including improved health, stronger relationships, better career outcomes, improved sleep, and higher self-esteem. Recently, I came across scientific studies that support the positive impact of positive thoughts on the brain.


I remember a great friend, Steve Wilkinson, who emphasized the importance of gratitude in both tennis and life. He believed that expressing gratitude during a match can calm the nerves and mind. As an avid tennis player in my youth, I often struggled to perform at my best during tournament matches. I was constantly overthinking, overly cautious, and excessively tense during these matches.


I met Steve in the early 80s at a Tennis and Life Camp. He noticed my anger and warned me it’d hinder my life. Recently, my cardiac issues made me realize the importance of his teachings. I’ve come to value gratitude. He often said I have nothing to lose. This applies to sports and life. Gratitude, calmness, and serenity are powerful.


In a distinct legal context, I had the opportunity to substantiate this theory. In 2012, I was required to testify in a matter about my professional endeavors. During the waiting period, I experienced apprehension as I meticulously rehearsed my statements.


Subsequently, a remarkable occurrence transpired. I consciously reminded myself of the significance of gratitude. Specifically, I expressed profound appreciation for the opportunity to present the facts, be heard, and convey my perspective. This was a privilege that I had previously been unable to exercise. Up to this point, I had been inundated with accusations from various parties, including those who were expected to provide support. I expressed gratitude for residing in a nation where individuals have the right to seek justice without numerous impediments. These thoughts immediately alleviated my nerves, resulting in a state of calmness and composure.


A short while later, it ended, significantly impacting the outcome. I began to believe that gratitude for stressful situations stimulates brain neurons, rewiring the brain to produce happiness. But why did I think this at over 50?


Here are my thoughts. They include:

  • Gratitude towards others redirects our focus from what is troubling or worrying us to what lifts our spirits. We shift from negative to positive thinking and energy.
  • Gratitude towards others gives me a proper perspective of what’s at stake.


BOTTOM LINE: There are many opportunities to test this powerful dynamic. I recently used it at work and was amazed by the outcome. Try it and see what you think. Remember to appreciate all aspects of life, including gratitude for another day with humans in a great land.


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...