Saturday, April 4, 2015

Bike ride, another death and children

The weather has improved. I cycled to work four days and could have done so a few more, although the wind exceeded 20 MPH, prompting me to drive. The weather forecast for next week is favorable. For Christmas, I received BarMitts for my road bike. I found them particularly useful in the morning, as they allowed me to ride with fingerless gloves. The gloves provided exceptional warmth to my body, excluding the obvious area, the crotch. However, I wish they were easily removable for the return journey when they are no longer required.


The past few weeks have been challenging. Last week, I left a meeting and was informed that my co-worker had abruptly left due to the unexpected passing of her brother. Subsequently, I learned that my boss’s father has been diagnosed with cancer and is battling for his life. On April 1st, I was informed that a close friend’s son had tragically passed away. I was deeply offended by what I initially perceived as a cruel April Fools’ joke. However, upon further investigation, I discovered that it was indeed true and not an accident. I will never comprehend the circumstances that led to this.


On Thursday, while walking for lunch with a 56-year-old friend who I had known to be experiencing a profound state of depression, I was surprised to learn about her personal struggles with her daughter. Despite the recent losses we had endured, including several suicides and unexpected accidental deaths, I had not anticipated such difficulties.


After a brief conversation, she confided in me about her concerns. I was taken aback, as I was aware of her daughter’s actions and had not anticipated any issues.


Recognizing the need for her to express herself, we decided to stop walking and sit on a park bench adjacent to the creek. As I had no afternoon meeting, I was prepared for a lengthy lunch break and worked overtime to compensate for the lost time.


She began to share the challenges she faced with her daughter. To provide some context, I have known her daughter for 18 years. She raised her as a single mother after her father abandoned them when she was approximately one year old. I have witnessed her unwavering dedication, working multiple jobs and displaying vulnerability during difficult times when her daughter began to stay with her. Despite her efforts, she was unable to fully resolve the situation, which had a significant impact on her relationship and overall well-being. She has been a constant presence in her daughter’s life, attending all of her considerable events. She ensured that her daughter pursued higher education and achieved success. After college, her daughter relocated to New Mexico to secure a promising job opportunity. She would travel to visit her daughter approximately five to six times annually, and her daughter would return home a few times.


I reminded her that she was raised financially independently as a single parent, a strong and independent woman. I reminded her that she should be proud of how her difficult few decades of life may have sapped her energy, but she has an independent and successful child. I reminded her that she did this without child support or public assistance.


She’s very proud! Two years ago, her daughter found her father. Since then, she’s worked hard to build a relationship with him. He was married to a stepdaughter and successful, traveling often. Unlike her friend, he was fun and didn’t get worn out by years of hard work.


Recently, her friend planned an Easter trip to see her daughter. Her daughter asked her not to come, saying she’s been seeing her less and less. She only texts occasionally and answers fewer than half the calls. They used to speak every three days, but now it’s a week or more.


In early February, when she visited, their ex, who was deadbeat, called. Her daughter excused herself and talked to her father for about 40 minutes. She was mad, and they argued, which made things worse.


She began to weep, expressing her exhaustion from dedicating so much energy to raising her daughter. She felt it was unjust for her daughter to dismiss her for something novel and enjoyable. She perceived her daughter as selfish and lacking respect and care for all she had sacrificed. At that moment, I believed she was contemplating suicide and was uncertain of how to respond.


I informed her that individuals are peculiar, and emotions are even more intricate. I reminded her that she no longer possesses control, and they are distinct because individuals in their twenties tend to seek novelty and excitement, rather than routine and predictability. I reminded her that children are no different from other people, often exhibiting selfishness and a lack of understanding, just as we did at that age. I suggested that she seek professional assistance to comprehend what she perceives as losing a child; only hers is still alive. This is unlike the situation of my close friend, whose 19-year-old son tragically took his own life on March 31.


I was at a loss for words, which is not typical for a person like myself who is strongly opinionated. I attempted to convey that children are free-spirited souls who are now experiencing fatigue, similar to us.


I informed her of my son’s request to fly to the West Coast for a weekend getaway from April 30th to May 2nd, which coincided with his birthday. I wanted to explore travel options and escape my overwhelming 60-hour workweeks. I expressed my exhaustion and need for a change.


I secured a flight to Portland and tried to contact him, but he remained unresponsive. He reached out during a meeting, but our conversation was cut short. The next day, I received a call about his alternative plans.


I had already scheduled the time off and bought the ticket, but I felt a sense of regret. I recognized that I lacked control. My son’s behavior is similar to mine in my twenties: he doesn’t care about others, has limited time for parenting, and wants to be independent.


Humans often regret after losing a loved one, but we tend to miss opportunities to be present when they are around. I recall a friend whose father committed suicide last year, and his absence is deeply felt. I often wonder how much he missed before his death.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...