Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Any purpose

As my girlfriend’s daughter turned 25, my son turned 26, and a new baby joined our family, I pondered the inevitable changes in our bodies as we age. Physical deterioration can start as early as 30 or 35, and soon we face the challenges of the “Big Five” health concerns.


In light of these developments, I have been dedicating more time to reading and seeking guidance from experts and individuals over the age of 50 whom I admire. I would like to know whether it is possible to achieve peak physical condition after the age of 50 and whether I should even consider pursuing this goal.


One individual who has captured my attention is Tony Horton, the renowned fitness instructor known for his P90X and 10-Minute Trainer programs. At the age of 57, Horton asserts that achieving peak physical condition is attainable for individuals over 50, contingent upon their specific circumstances. If an individual has led an inactive lifestyle for a significant portion of their life, they may be able to achieve this goal. Conversely, if they were once an Olympic athlete, Horton maintains that it is not feasible.


I know the logic and what I need to do, but I do not apply myself.  A recent study published in the American Journal of Medicine found that the higher your muscle mass index is, the more likely you’ll live longer! My primary concern is maintaining motivation and discipline.  I need to improve in several ways.

  • I feel anxious about life and wonder if I’m experiencing a late midlife crisis. I lack purpose and time for self-care or to discover a new direction. I’ve been questioning my identity in relationships and crave direction and grounding. I have anxiety, headaches, insomnia, low mood, and irritability.
  • I have been searching for a map or compass to help guide me to a clearing. I can’t find it!
  • In my professional life, I plan for the day ahead. In my personal life, I struggle with planning.  I really need to make an appointment and complete the meeting for my health.
  • I have no one to hold me accountable, which is a big issue. It is easy to improve when you have someone to hold you accountable and help you through the lows.
  • I need to prioritize fitness, like eating, breathing, and sleeping.
  • I need variety, as overworking the same muscles constantly is a prescription for injuries.  I don’t heal like we did when I was 25.
  • I need to accept that it will take longer to build muscle and lose body fat. Those who know me know I am not patient. 

I need to break out of this slump. I may seek help as I continue to struggle alone. After 50, I’m tired and unsure if I want to work hard, even with the benefits.


This was easier when I had a good friend. We helped each other. I lost one friend through marriage, and another great friend died in 2006. I haven’t recovered from that loss. I still need more motivation and purpose. I hope my search for success is fruitful. I know it will appear if I search long enough!


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...