I frequently commute to work by bicycle. It is an effective way to start the day, even when the one-way distance is 18 miles. However, as I age, it becomes increasingly challenging. We anticipate favorable riding weather soon, and I intend to resume my morning ride and return at night. I hope that I do not succumb to irritability and abandon this activity. What constitutes a grumpy old man?
Last year, while cycling to work, I encountered a 65-year-old or older individual who appeared out of shape and despondent. He approached me and exclaimed, “Hey!” Upon turning, he continued, “Please keep your bicycle on the sidewalk!” Notably, there was no sidewalk in that location. Despite this, he closely followed my reduced pace and honked his horn in anger as I rode along the street.
My experience exemplified a variation of the classic Grumpy Old Man stereotype. I immediately recognized him as the quintessential “Guy Who Is Irritated by Everything” group member.
As I continued my bicycle ride, I encountered a sidewalk. I proceeded onto the sidewalk and came to a halt. At that moment, the individual who was honking abruptly ceased honking and accelerated away. I resumed my journey on the street and rode peacefully for the remainder of the distance. I silently resolved never to allow myself to become a “Grumpy Old Man.” However, to maintain this resolution, I needed to investigate the reasons behind why men aged 50 and above develop a disposition akin to Oscar the Grouch. The more I contemplated this, the more I recognized that it is comprehensible—and indeed, terrifyingly comprehensible—why men of my age begin to exhibit a sour demeanor.
The most apparent reason for this phenomenon is that at this stage of life, we encounter a heightened number of issues that induce self-induced irritation. The primary reason lies in the fact that we have spent our lives taking pride in certain aspects of our physical abilities. Some individuals boast about their bench-press strength, while others boast about their running speed, agility, or the ability to consume an excessive quantity of hot dogs in a single sitting. Regardless of their past accomplishments, the underlying principle remains the same: their abilities have diminished.
After reaching the age of 50, I experienced a series of aches, pains, syndromes, and indignities. My prostate gland became active, while my once robust stomach became delicate. I have significant difficulty sleeping, a fact that is constantly reminded to me by the numerous pharmaceutical advertisements. Daily, these advertisements promote the message about my impending acid reflux, joint pain, erectile dysfunction, frequent urination, and other related conditions. It is imperative to consider this information.
Over the past decade, I have witnessed significant transformations in my family and professional life. My identity had been intricately intertwined with my child, my daytime employment, and my part-time officiating duties for several decades. However, the departure of my child from home and the subsequent challenges I faced in my career have left me questioning the state of my life.
The most pressing concern is the rapid and often detrimental changes occurring in the world around me, which frequently fall short of my high standards. As I age, I find myself increasingly drawn to “The World These Days” and perceiving it as hopelessly flawed.
I harbor concerns about the direction of the government, the excessive burden of taxes, the lack of respect exhibited by children, the prevalence of performance-enhancing drugs among athletes, the excessive reliance on Twitter, the frequent malfunctions of computers, the constant use of cell phones, and the decline of personal interaction, even with my girlfriend, as we resort to texting.
The mere contemplation of these issues has become increasingly frustrating. Given the overwhelming evidence of decline, it isn't easy to remain unaffected by a sense of grumpiness.
I have been advised to read “The Wonder of Aging: A New Approach to Embracing Life After Fifty.” This book examines the distinct aging processes of men and women, as well as the reasons behind the potential sourness in men’s demeanor. It suggests that testosterone may play a significant role in this phenomenon, as some believe the body may be deprived of this crucial chemical. However, the widespread use of testosterone supplements is not a straightforward solution, as nothing is simple.
In contrast, the underlying causes of my Grumpy Old Man syndrome lie in my emotional and psychological state. I experienced a divorce and lost a dear child during that time. My youngest child has grown up, while my oldest child is the one I have only spent approximately 300 hours with in his 35 years of life. Additionally, my girlfriend’s child is currently concerned about job loss in a robust economy. Many young individuals are burdened with substantial debt due to student loans and struggle to secure stable employment.
The most crucial aspect is to redirect my energy towards positive endeavors. Similar shifts may be necessary in my relationships, sexual life, and spiritual pursuits. Ultimately, I am left with a question: Is there anything inherently wrong with a grumpy old man instructing me to walk on the sidewalk? Perhaps he is concerned about my safety.
This illustrates the power of finding positivity, even in the face of arrogance and pomposity.
No comments:
Post a Comment