Sunday, March 22, 2015

On the seventh day, even God rested.

This evening, I watched Robin Williams’s final film, “The Angriest Man in Brooklyn.” It profoundly impacted me in various ways, particularly given his untimely passing at the end of the film. It evoked memories of John Wayne succumbing to death in his final cinematic endeavor. However, one aspect that particularly resonated with me was the portrayal of the workaholic, irate individual by Robin Williams. I am aware that workaholics are often perceived as grumpy and unappealing individuals who are disregarded by others. Subsequently, I recalled my grandfather’s sentiments regarding my workaholic lifestyle.


On the seventh day, even God took a break.


As a workaholic, the concept of rest remains elusive. I typically log nearly 60-hour workweeks, only to return home to an abundance of additional tasks. There is always one more email to peruse, one more phone call to attend, and one more critically important trip to the office that cannot be postponed until Monday. Weekends, holidays, and family time? As the quintessential workaholic Ebenezer Scrooge famously declared, “Bah, humbug!”


I rarely go on vacation without my laptop or electronic access. I answer emails at all hours and expect voicemail when I return phone calls. At 2:00 AM, I was at the office returning a call when an architect with a home office answered. We discussed the questions. I struggle with evening and weekend work. It’s ingrained in me, like a daily health club visit. Missing a day feels awful. I check emails on my phone while waiting in line, during my date’s bathroom break, and after each commercial break. It’s worsened by the constant need to be busy.


It is remarkably easy to satisfy my cravings with cell phones, pads, laptops, and Wi-Fi, which ensure that work need never be out of reach. However, blaming technology for my workaholism is akin to blaming the supermarket for food addiction or the corner liquor store for alcoholism. The preoccupation with work is the core of workaholism.


Workaholism is remarkably similar to alcoholism. Just as an alcoholic will hide bottles around the house and drink furtively, workaholics attempt to sneak into work when they believe no one is looking. Some clear signs of my issue include my difficulty delegating work, neglecting other aspects of my life, and incorporating different aspects of life into work by attempting to turn a hobby into a business.


While I recognize that I should be the ideal employee—one who arrives early, stays late, does not take vacations, and takes on an excessive amount of work—more often than not, I fail to handle the job effectively and become disorganized. I fail to recognize that I need the time off to recharge when my work performance is affected.


I am apprehensive about taking vacations due to the apprehension that, given the ongoing downsizing and economic challenges, I may not secure employment upon my return.


I am fully cognizant that workaholism has adverse health consequences, including significantly elevated work-related stress and job burnout rates, anger, depression, anxiety, and psychosomatic symptoms such as stomachaches and headaches. This past month, my stomach has been more painful than at any time I can recall in my life. I experience heart palpitations and sudden racing of the heart. Despite these symptoms, I am in a state of deep denial.


How can I cease this cycle? I am unable to quit my job or make drastic changes abruptly. Some suggest seeking information, but this approach perpetuates the cycle. I can read about reducing work by adding more work. I can add to my already hectic schedule to alleviate my workload.


Without addressing the underlying issues, the problems will only worsen. However, it is often the case that things deteriorate before they improve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...